Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Rain water harvesting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Home/Environment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Rain water harvesting Reply with quote

I got this idea from my neighbor. He uses a large plastic barrel beneath his gutter to capture rain from his roof. Then he uses a gallon milk jug with the bottom cut off to scoop up the water and give his more particular plants, the ones that are a little salt or high ph sensitive, a nice watering with rain water. I used to think rain water harvesting wasn't such a good idea because I imagined making a breeding ground for mosquitos and how I couldn't hook this up to my irrigation etc. However, he uses up the water fairly quickly and covers the barrel when its not raining.

That steady rain storm we had last night topped off this barrel no problem, because a good portion of my roof dumps water in this spot. These green barrels are really big, so I don't know how many gallons are in there exactly but I'm guessing over a hundred, and I won't even attempt to roll this around until I've scooped out most of the water.

Anyone else know what one of these large recycle barrels holds? I couldn't find it written on it. Anyone want to go for a swim?

rainBarrel.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  55.68 KB
 Viewed:  23490 Time(s)

Rain water harvesting

Dauntless

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: barrel Reply with quote

I believe they hold 96 gallons. At least that is what mine hold and they look the same size.

This is a great idea. I just wish that I had an extra one to use for this. I'll have to look around for something similar.
If you didn't have to move them, they have blue 55 gallon food grade barrels at a place in Glendale for $18 each. I'm not sure about the lid set up.

I have a few salt sensitive plants that would love this.

We use a submersible pump for emptying our pond and it would work great for getting the water out of the barrel.
mullenium

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! good idea..

where my loquat and guava are planted is right under the low part of my roof that DUMPS water, so both plants got a hefty dose of water durin gthis last rainfall..

i wonder if its bad that they are planted here, we dont get much rain to cause concern but I hope they dont mind the occasional massive flooding lol
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lychee in the same situation, located right under a dumping spot from the roof. It seems to be good for it, besides a little bit of a leaf beating.
MKIVRYAN

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my 500G water tank that covers the front of my house. I got about 350G off the less than 1/2" of rain I got last weekend. I plan to add another 2300G container for my back roof. I estimate that I will need 1" of rain to fill it.

IMG_5256.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.8 MB
 Viewed:  1854 Time(s)

Rain water harvesting

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome. You have taken it the next level.
MKIVRYAN

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always do Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Home/Environment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: