Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Tropical plants and texas root rot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Tropicals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reets

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Tropical plants and texas root rot Reply with quote

Hi phoenixtropical,

I am a new user and I am living in Gilbert, AZ. I like to grow tropical fruits in my garden. But I am kind of disappointed when trees die.

I have a brazilian pepper tree, plum, orange, lemon, pomegranate shrub, roses in my garden.

Last summer I lost by peach (which is in my backyard). Kind of the tree wilted suddenly and died.

This wednesday I am loosing my brazillian pepper tree in my front yard. The tree leaves wilted suddenly one night. Today all the leaves are drooping from the branches and crispy.

My Santa rosa plum is also doing really bad now. Most of the leaves became brown and crispy.

All these symptoms clearly guided me to Texas root rot. I haven't tested the roots for Texas root rot. But I will be doing it this week.

I read that the fungus that causes Texas root rot is present everywhere in the soil in southwest ,but dormant. So how are you managing to grow all these tropical trees? . Do I need to take care of something before planting to get rid of this fungus? Any help is appreciated

Thanks
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are three reasons your trees are having trouble.

1) The heat
2) The heat
3) The heat

This has been a brutal couple of weeks with close to 115 for ten days or so. Any tree that was already struggling or not too well established yet often dies when it gets like this. Of course, the most important thing to do when it is super hot is to water properly. Also, stay away from fertilizing when the weather is so extreme as well.

I'm no expert on Texas root rot. It could be a problem but most of the time when your plants are struggling it is for reasons that are far simpler than any disease or fancy nutrient deficiency.

I have found that there are many things from Texas that should be avoided, especially their politicians... ha ha.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Tropicals All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: