Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Lots of new growth on the mangos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Datropicalman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Lots of new growth on the mangos Reply with quote

They really like this mild weather. Most of the trees are pushing out new leaves

IMG_0137.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.9 MB
 Viewed:  823 Time(s)

MKIVRYAN

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost mine a while ago. I need to stop by sometime and get another one from you.
Amadioranch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine are all pushing new growth too. Kinda wish they wouldnt because im sure the new growth wont be hardened enough before the next freeze. We get really cold out here in Laveen. Already seen 22 degrees this winter and even now we touch 33 or 34 degrees at night.

mango.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  94.07 KB
 Viewed:  13752 Time(s)

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photo. You have a good size yard. Yes, sounds like mangoes are a challenge there.
Amadioranch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! We are on a flood irrigated acre and a half lot. A acre of it is pasture for our animals (we try to raise as much of our own food as possible). We are considering someday planting the whole pasture as orchard. Someday......
myamberdog

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - I'll say mangos must be a challenge, but you've got some nice structures to protect them...and nice size property too! A real farm, Amadio. But I agree with you - this pushing of growth in the beginning of winter is soooooo dangerous once a few real cold nights hit! I wish everybody luck...

myamberdog
Amadioranch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still pushing new growth. This growth is unusual, thinking it might be the beginning of flowering?? This is on a corriente seedling mango. About 4 ft high.

growth.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  57.27 KB
 Viewed:  13679 Time(s)

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's flowers. I find that my mangoes flower fairly early every year, but it depends on the variety. The earliest flowers sometime in February I think.

This year the flowering is strange for everything. My loquat flowered in November (usually flowers in March), my white Sapote flowered around Christmas (usually flowers February), and my Earli Grande peach is starting to push out flowers right now (usually flowers at the beginning of February).

We had some unusually cold weather in October. Maybe that has something to do with it, but this is definitely the weirdest "plant schedule" year I have seen.

On the positive side, if we can escape this winter without anymore cold snaps, this is going to a nice long spring, and the plants will have a nice long time to grow and prosper before summer hits.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Weather Analysis Reply with quote

Here is an interesting article. So far it looks like the jet stream is doing exactly the reverse of what is was last year. Let's hope it doesn't drop the hammer on us in March again.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57358658/whatever-happened-to-winter/

Another article from Canada. Looks like they are back to their norm up there.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/01/14/deep-freeze-returns

The jet stream pattern normally pulls cold air out of the arctic and does a u-shape through the center of the U.S. Typically the trough runs to the east of AZ and bottoms out in Texas, which is why we are warmer than them even though we are at the same lattitude. Last year the jet stream went almost straight down the west coast and hammered us with cold air. This year it is staying very far north and pulling our warm air into the Midwest. However, near the change of seasons when the temperature difference between the arctic and the middle latitudes becomes less dramatic, the jet stream gets unstable and can do weird things. That's why we got hit in March last year.

The fact that arctic temperatures have been warmer than usual in the last couple of decades makes the temperature difference between the middle latitude and the arctic air smaller throughout the winter, which makes the jet stream more unstable all winter, not just in spring and fall.
Amadioranch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the run down on whats going on in the big picture. I honestly have tunnel vision and only pay attention to whats going on here. Dont watch broadcast TV so I never see a national weather forecast anymore. Pretty much just watch my weather channel app on my phone. Last winter was brutal. I wasnt monitoring then (i now have probes scattered about the property) but on our coldest morning my truck read 18 degrees. Knowing that its under a cover in a protected place in the property im betting that we were likely closer to 15 degrees out in the orchard. In all my life (am a native) ive never heard of water pipes freezing and bursting here yet on that night we had several copper pipes freeze and burst here at the ranch.

You know im grateful for it. It showed me how bad it can get. My frost protection may look like overkill but if we get a repeat of last year, I know for a fact that my tropicals will be warm and cozy. We have already seen 22 degrees as a low this winter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: