Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

why do my banana's always die?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hyperfalls

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: why do my banana's always die? Reply with quote

I have had around five banana trees, all of them grow slowely, I fertilize them, give them extra water, set up shade structures, but they always grow slow and then get killed in the summer. Why?
myamberdog

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't make sense - they LOVE the heat at my house. Do you mulch them heavily??? Of all the plants that appreciate mulch, these tropical island beauties seem to the most....how about a picture or two ???

myamberwoofie
Amadioranch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could have everything to do with the varieties you are trying. Ive tried many many different cultivars and only a select few can take the heat of the Arizona summer. Ice Cream (blue java) is about the best choice.
Hyperfalls

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't post any more photos because I have reached my upload limit. I mulch all of my bananas heavily. My current varieties are ice cream, goldfinger, and whatever the variety at the extension garden is. One of my extension garden bananas seemed to have lots of rot at the top of the plant so I cut it off. My goldfinger has been transplanted to a full shade pot, and my ice cream is totally fried.
myamberdog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they happen to be planted next to a wall?

The only other thing I can think of and which happened to me when
I was landscaping my front yard - there was one spot near the house
where I do believe, that painters had rinsed out their buckets and dumped it - poisoning the soil. And since then nothing has grown in
that spot....just a thought.....I guess you can soak it slowly for a 4-5 hours or so and maybe it will dillute the toxicity. I didn't do that but probably should have - just gave up on that spot...

myamberdawg
MKIVRYAN

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it makes you feel any better mine always die in August as well. They grow great April-June then slow down in July and die in August and September. I'm enjoying the last few weeks of my current few. I have tried them in different places with different water amounts and different levels of shade but nothing has worked with the exception of ones in pots for some reason, no problem with all the ones in pots.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy that is a mystery why your bananas are having such a tough time. Maybe check the bananas article on the website and see if that doesn't help. Do they look like they are just sunburning to death? Too much water and fertilizer maybe? I'm just guessing. My banana is one of my easiest plants to grow.
Hyperfalls

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They aren't next to a wall... good news though! One of my bananas is doing well now, the others not so much. Hopefully the pups off the good one can suffice for my lost bananas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: