Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Plumeria starts from Hawaii - what next?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Plumerias
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jenesis76

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Plumeria starts from Hawaii - what next? Reply with quote

I have 3 plumeria segments, 10-12" long and a little less than an inch in diameter, that I brought from Hawaii yesterday. I bought them for $5 from a roadside vendor, and he didn't have a clue what variety they were, except they are supposed to have colorful blossoms, not white. The starts made it through ag inspection, since they have no roots or leaves. The vendor said to start them in sand. The ag inspector said to start them in potting mix.

I live in the city of Maricopa, and my house faces WSW. My back yard has a covered patio and shoestring acacia for shade and a small pool that doesn't need any more litter. Smile

They are starting to wilt a bit. What do I do with them? The ground, a pot? If a large pot, how large? I'm excited to get them started - I have very little experience gardening in a desert climate. Thank you!
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any kind of light potting soil will do. I use the Miracle Grow Moisture Control potting mix that you can find at HD. Pot them deep enough so that the cutting can stand on its own. Watering them good once and keep them in the house in a sunny window. It's too hot to root them outside this time of year. Don't water them again until they start growing leaves or they start to look wrinkly from drying out. You probably won't need to water them again until they get leaves. It takes a while for them to leaf out. A month maybe, I don't recall exactly.

Check out the website for more info. There is a link on the plumeria page dedicated to growing them in pots.

http://www.phoenixtropicals.com/plumeria.html
Jenesis76

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, that's exactly what I needed.

phoenixtropicals wrote:
Any kind of light potting soil will do. I use the Miracle Grow Moisture Control potting mix that you can find at HD. Pot them deep enough so that the cutting can stand on its own. Watering them good once and keep them in the house in a sunny window. It's too hot to root them outside this time of year. Don't water them again until they start growing leaves or they start to look wrinkly from drying out. You probably won't need to water them again until they get leaves. It takes a while for them to leaf out. A month maybe, I don't recall exactly.

Check out the website for more info. There is a link on the plumeria page dedicated to growing them in pots.

http://www.phoenixtropicals.com/plumeria.html
Jenesis76

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: It has leaves!!! Reply with quote

I potted all three of my plumeria starts from Hawaii, and today one has leaves! The other two look like they're going to sprout any day. Thanks again for the advice, this is exciting! (By the way, it took about 11 days to get these leaves, and my pots are outside on a shaded patio.)

P1010576.JPG
 Description:
Leaves on a plumeria start from Hawaii, potted about a week ago.
 Filesize:  4.74 MB
 Viewed:  928 Time(s)

Leaves on a plumeria start from Hawaii, potted about a week ago.

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like they are coming along!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Plumerias All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: