Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

bulk 22kilo /50 lbs Bone Meal /Seed Meal /Kelp meal - Where

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Ornamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
metric

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: bulk 22kilo /50 lbs Bone Meal /Seed Meal /Kelp meal - Where Reply with quote

hallo All;

i am looking to amend the clay soil here in Chandler

hoping I have some better luck with my Italian cypress and the HK Orcids tress I am looking to plant

anyone have a good source of 22kilo bags / 50 lb - of the fore- mentioned meals for the soil - or have some suggestions -
cheers in advance
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of those trees do fairly well in the native soil here with a little bit of amendment. I recommend mixing in a little compost and some sand (to help make the soil more gas permeable) into your backfill. In fact the cypress do great here even when not babied. My neighbors have some very large ones and all they get is some water and are fairly neglected in general.
metric

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hallo phoenixtropicals :

Cheers ya for the reply :

I have 9 italian cypress planted in front - 4 are doing rather good but for the occasional spider mite attention- and then I just hose off with strong spray from hose each morning for 2 days - the 5 against the garage I think are dead due to either hard pack or caliche - I will pull these out and before replanting will dig a bit deeper and drill some drain holes - etc .....

all 9 were planted this spring

cheers:
metric

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo All :

Follow up question .....

Italian cypress crow tip is bent over like hook ...
Branches mostly dry but tips are green
This due to root restriction ?
Over water /underwater - poor drainage ?

cheers in advance
mombear

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: bulk 22kilo /50 lbs Bone Meal /Seed Meal /Kelp meal - Wh Reply with quote

metric wrote:
hallo All;

i am looking to amend the clay soil here in Chandler

hoping I have some better luck with my Italian cypress and the HK Orcids tress I am looking to plant

anyone have a good source of 22kilo bags / 50 lb - of the fore- mentioned meals for the soil - or have some suggestions -
cheers in advance

Planting in Phoenix is all new to me as I also live in the summer months in Radium, BC, Canada. But I just read an article on another website that said the biggest ptoblem with HK Orchid trees are the watering, using the Arizona salty water. I actually read it on this site so you might want check it out. I grow orchids her at home & they are persnickity so I can't amagin trying to grow them in Phoenix in that hot sun. Good Luck
Gail

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Hong Kong Orchid Trees Reply with quote

Orchid trees are not orchids fortunately. Growing a real orchid tree here would be impossible in the heat and dry weather. Hong Kong orchid trees just have flowers that look like orchids. They actually grow very well here but shed there leaves in early summer. I'll include a more recent picture of my tree.

orchidTree.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  191.22 KB
 Viewed:  31006 Time(s)

Hong Kong Orchid Trees

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Italian Cypress Reply with quote

From what you wrote Metric it sounds like you are watering them too much. I'd back off to 3 times a week in the summer if I were you, and once a month in mid winter. When you do water them, soak them at the base instead of spraying the whole plant. Getting water on the leaves, needles in this case, could be bad for them.
mombear

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Hong Kong Orchid Trees Reply with quote

phoenixtropicals wrote:
Orchid trees are not orchids fortunately. Growing a real orchid tree here would be impossible in the heat and dry weather. Hong Kong orchid trees just have flowers that look like orchids. They actually grow very well here but shed there leaves in early summer. I'll include a more recent picture of my tree.

Oh wow, thanks for stirring me in the right direction. I will definately look at them when I come down in Nov. I hear a lot of my plants are dying this year because of the horrid heat and I will be buying more it sounds. Thanks again
Gail

ccxzayhi

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, they look good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Ornamentals All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: