Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

SquareFoot Garden bed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Vegetables
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PleatherR0se

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: SquareFoot Garden bed Reply with quote

I am a new gardener...and...
This is my square foot garden bed.... I made it on paint Laughing

So far the celery, carrots, and zucchini seeds have not sprouted yet...

I started the eggplant, bell peppers, butternut squash and cucumbers inside and transplanted them (apparently too early because they died in the recent cold) Mad So now I replanted them in my garden by seeds and are hoping they will grow when it gets warm again... (the orange bell peppers are still alive though)

The strawberry have sprouted but then my puppy ate it...

I have Anaheim chili's, jalapeno, red peppers, and four tomato plants started inside that I will wait longer to transplant this time...

I also tried artichoke but the first seed didn't take so I just planted a new one...

Everything is pretty much new seedlings in my garden... I feel so impatient that they really aren't going anywhere yet...

Garden organizer.png
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Garden organizer.png
 Filesize:  70.04 KB
 Downloaded:  1039 Time(s)

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like an extensive garden you got going there. Yes, the freezes this winter were really hard on things. Next time we get a freeze like that you might want to try covering your plants with an old bed spread for a couple of days. Its actually okay if you plants get a bit plastered to the ground by the spread because being right against the ground with insulation on top is very good protection, and being without sun for about 4-5 days is actually no problem.

I think you'll find a fairly short window between spring and summer where your tomatoes are actually productive. I think things like zuchini, squash, eggplants, and peppers will do really well.

You won't get anything from the artichoke until next year. It has to suffer through summer and next spring I believe it will flower.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Vegetables All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: