Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

That's not a tree! That's a bush with a flagpole!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Landscaping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psimitry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: That's not a tree! That's a bush with a flagpole! Reply with quote

So last august I get the brilliant idea to try my hand at a jacaranda tree. I got it planted and everything seemed to be going well.

Then this year's really nasty frost hit.

I took precautions, I strung up christmas lights in it and covered it with a dark black heavy sheet. All in all, it was pretty well protected from the frost. Apparently not well enough. I lost all foliage from the top of the tree.

Spring came, and I was kicking around whether or not to rip it out, but I did a scrape test, and underneath the bark the tree was still green - still alive at the top (as opposed to my buddy's that was black under the bark half way up).

Here's the problem - foliage did start to return to the tree... but not in the way you might think:

The new "branches" are about 7 feet tall at this point (taller than me at any rate), but there is no growth at the top. Still green under the top though so I dunno. Is there no hope for this tree? Part of me has almost wanted to cut the trunk out of the center and have a nice Jacaranda bush. Smile
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good actually. I think you can cut the old trunk at this point. Then you'll need decide whether you want a multitrunked tree or a single trunked tree and prune accordingly.
GermanStar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, cut the trunk as phoenixtropicals suggested; if not now, in the near future, and let the tree sort itself out. In general, it's never a good idea to trim Jacarandas, so just do this once. Wherever you trim these guys, they tend to sprout unattractive vertical branches, so the fewer of those the better. The bottom line is you need to let the tree sort this out on its own, don't try to shape it. Jacarandas are frequently multi-trunked, so no problem there.

BTW, Jacarandas are generally pretty hardy, you just got caught with a tender young tree in a horrible and unusual winter.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

German Star is correct. Generally Jacarandas take freezes fairly well. My neighbors mature trees just lost their leaves in the hard freeze, but didn't lose any branches.
GermanStar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine lost a few top branches, but overall, the tree came back really well. We were down in the teens last Feb.
psimitry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I went to cut away most of the new limbs and the original trunk when I happened to look up and saw tiny bits of new growth FINALLY at the original top of the tree. Would it be better to cut away ALL of the new limbs so that it can concentrate growth on the original trunk? Or should I just stick with the original plan since winter is coming and I have more growth closer to the ground?
GermanStar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would leave it and let the tree sort it out on its own. As stated previously, Jacarandas can get really ugly if trimmed too much.
umer147

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: boby Reply with quote

I would leave it and let the tree sort it out on its own. As stated previously, Jacarandas can get really ugly if trimmed too much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Landscaping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: