Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Maternity Plant....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Ornamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyle_Davis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Maternity Plant.... Reply with quote

Matt,

Per our email, I'm posting my questions here. Smile

So you said this plant I got from my co-worker is a Maternity Plant (or Kalanchoe daigremontiana.). A picture of it is located is attached.

I posted it in this section because I understand it flowers alot. So what can you tell me about it? How hardy is it?

Maternity plant.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  628.05 KB
 Viewed:  1481 Time(s)

Maternity Plant....

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kyle. I've never had any troubles with it freezing. Its a very strange plant because it reproduces from all those nodes on its leaves. Baby plants literally grow at those little serrations and then drop off. On top of that it will flower every now and then. The flowers aren't very colorful though. The parent plants will get too big and fall over eventually, so I usually pull them out at that point because there will be lots of little ones coming up all around them.

I have found that, like other succulents like ice plants, it is ideal for shady dry spots on the North side of my house, like my courtyard. Very few plants like it shady and dry but these kind of succulents do. I water them on my citrus schedule which means once a week in summer and once a month in winter. In the same area I also have Hearts and Flowers, and a Kalancho (the one with the little orange flowers they sell at the grocery all the time). I used to have a rocky point ice plant in the slightly sunnier part of my courtyard, but the birds pecked it to death. They figured out it was a good source of water apparently. It did well for years though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Ornamentals All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: