Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Blueberries in PHX

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Container Fruit Trees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saul4paz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Blueberries in PHX Reply with quote

I bought 2 blueberry plants a month ago (misty/blue sharp)
I’m very excited based on what I’ve found.

Because blueberry's need high acidity soil i mixed a 3-2-1 (manure/natures way/our soil (moist clay)& a little gypsum, in a 10gal container. I planted both bare root plants in and they are sprouting like crazy, now. I think there a good investment to a fruit garden. With fully grown plants producing 10pt. of berries a year.

The trick must be acidic soil, but it can be managed better in a container. Idea

Both varieties need only 200-300hours of chill. And begin to produce good after 2-3years. And can live up to 15-20years. Just like roses.

Great article link;

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/ss/byauthor/110963

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you could do it in a container. However, I wonder how much the alkalinity of the water would affect your container ph.
Little Luey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good deal!
I have been looking at blueberries myself, but right now I can't get any.

you mentioned the water could affect the ph, would it help to use a water softener water?

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You definitely do not want to use softened water. Water softeners add sodium to the water which is a plant killer. RO water would work though, but its kind of an expensive way to water a plant. I would just start with tap water and see how it works out. If you give the potted plant a good soaking every time you water it and wash the salts out the bottom it would probably work out. I'd imagine blueberries need to spend summer in the shade.
Little Luey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will keep that in mind when my time comes. Very Happy
Elliston

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Phoenix too! Anyways, as I am sure you are aware of; Phoenix gets very hot and very dry. This makes growing all but the most drought resistant plants difficult to grow, but not impossible. To grow my strawberries and peppermint, I put them in my shady breezeway, in a spot that never gets direct sunlight. The light paint on the wall opposite of them reflects plenty of light to them, without making it overbearing. I also water them a little bit more than my other plants, and put a good layer of mulch around the base to prevent evaporation. Hope this helps you.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mint is a hard one to grow here. I grew spearmint.. ahhh smelled like gum... in the full shade. It lingered for years, but never really took off as mints are known to do. Sounds like you have a good formula though. Do your strawberries fruit in full shade?
Kyle_Davis

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had asked a question about using softened water on our plants, but after doing a decent amount of research online, it seems the answer is a big no. We already have a good deal of salt in our soil and water. So even if the softener only adds a little bit of salt, it's still more to an already too high amount of salt in our water. Looks like I need to invest in rainwater harvesting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Container Fruit Trees All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: