Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

The best fruit varieties for AZ & chat

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: The best fruit varieties for AZ & chat Reply with quote

It seems the homepage is rather dated and we can exchange scions for the people that don't have the time or money to go to the AZRFG meetings! Cool
Here's what I'm growing:
-'Valentine Pomelo (developed in 2006 by UC riverside, it is a tri-brid of three citrus: 1/4 'Dancy' Tangerine (floral taste), 1/4 'Ruby' blood orange (color), 1/2 'Siamese Sweet' Pomelo (large fruit size))
-'Ponderosa' Lemon (a dwarf citron-lemon hybrid with huge fruits)
-'Okrung' Mango (said to be the highest BRIX of all mangoes)
-Indian Curry Leaf (adds a celery taste to curries)
-Lemongrass (used in tons of Thai food)
-Moringa (the best superfood evah! Wink )
-'Taiung #2' Papaya (red fleshed)
-'Brazilian' Papaya (red fleshed)
-Carob (no pollinator yet Crying or Very sad )
-'Frederick' Passionfruit (sooo good Very Happy)
-'Physical Graffiti' Pitaya/Dragon fruit (loves water!)
-'Tommy Atkins' Mango (seedling for rootstock)
-Monrovia 'Angel Red' Pomegranate (high juice content)
-Peruvian Apple Cactus (like pitaya)
-Aloe Vera (I never get burned but nice texture)
-2x Manila Mango rootstock (awaiting Coconut cream and Sweet tart scions)

Below the picture is a list of the best varieties to grow in Arizona that I plan to grow one day. I will continue to expand this as time passes. Good luck!

HPIM0442.JPG
 Description:
Here are some passionfruits that I found on the ground earlier this week. They finally finished ripening after flowering long before winter. Caught me by surprise! May this be inspiration.
 Filesize:  127.1 KB
 Viewed:  29921 Time(s)

Here are some passionfruits that I found on the ground earlier this week. They finally finished ripening after flowering long before winter. Caught me by surprise! May this be inspiration.

Best Subtropical Fruit Varieties For Arizona.doc
 Description:
I've spent 3 years for this list of the best varieties for Arizona. I selected for taste and reviews from tropicalfruitforum.com, GardenWeb, and my own personal opinions.

Download
 Filename:  Best Subtropical Fruit Varieties For Arizona.doc
 Filesize:  29.25 KB
 Downloaded:  1390 Time(s)

Last edited by darkcoolboo on Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:10 pm; edited 11 times in total
myamberdog

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice list...what about the All-In-One Almond? Mine has flourished and produces nice nuts.....

And the Mexican Papaya does very well at my house. I'm in Palm Springs which is quite similar to your climate....

MDoggie
darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All In One almond can be found most everywhere. I find it at my local Home Depot in the fall to winter. Aside from that, I'd say it's good. A few of the less visited sites say it needs 500 chill hours, while the more reputable say 400 chill hours. IDK for Palm Springs, but we get 300-400 chill hours. Less chill hours = less fruit set, but Garden Prince has only 250 chill hours which is 100%. Also, you can grow both for more productivity if you wanted. My 'Maradol' do horribly. Though I'm sure it's a personal problem (maybe not good drainage), my Tainung #2 doubled in size, while my 'Maradol' is still the same. Also, the leaves are getting more closely spaced as time progresses. I think this winter was the nail on the coffin. I recommend buying papaya seed from alohaseed.com (though the seeds sometimes aren't always fresh). 'Red lady' does very well in South FL, 'Improved Solo sunrise' is consistent fruit setting variety and 'TR Hovey' is a dwarf one that fruits rather quickly.

Remember, my own garden is only about half a year old, so this is all a learning experience for me. I get most of my info online.
myamberdog

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my TR Hovey seeds from Aloha and the tree is a monster grower. Does yours have yellow fleshed fruit? Maybe I got sent the wrong variety....who knows. I don'[t like the taste anyway - It has a rose water/floral taste to it that I just don't like.

Except for the low growing/covered papayas, all mine got majorly burned by frost and after all the nice leaves fell off, the fruit has begun to know fall, green of course. How did yours do during that recent cold spell?

Maddy
myamberdog

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nathan - what do you think of my Edward mango blooming at this time of year? It's in a warm, walled in and southern location in front of my house. I really think the extra heat is what propels it to be my first fruiting mango each year.....and it gets great frost protection too!

You have any mango's blooming about now?

Maddy

Edward Flowering 020215.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.73 MB
 Viewed:  889 Time(s)

darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our winter has been so good to use because we've only had one frost so far back in Dec. Since I only had two papaya in containers, I just put them in the garage. I'm going to plant them in ground this week because many nurseries recommend planting earlier, despite frost. Then I'll move my passionfruit to my tainung #2's pot and build a trellis once the passionfruit gets established.

My only mango, Okrung will become a multigraft because 'Okrung' is a rather inferior variety. I can't benefit from southern expose because my house is in the south and casts a shadow on half the yard. The okrung is in the process of forming the flowers, but I'll probably snip them to allow tree growth or hit it with nitrogen. Your mango is so successful, while my mango is so shrimpy.
darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all those AZ pple out there, I personally feel that Lowes is the best nursery out there. Sure you should support local nurseries, but Tropica mango is expensive and I've never been to shamus o leary (though i follow both fb/facebook pages) before. I'm planning to drive up there on valentines day because he posted that his shipment is coming that day or so. For other places, it might be either HD (home depot) or lowes that supplies the tropical plants, but near my house, it's lowes.

I often look at the messages at Tropica mango fb page and i feel discouraged at the sheer fact that tropica mango costs 3x $$$ than lowes. On average a plant at lowes is only 22$ (12$ on sale). Tropica mango varying prices (5-200) and it's very confusing. That okrung was 200$, but now I realize that I could have just bought a 20$ rootstock at lowes, took a grafting class at AZRFG, then grafted much better varieties like coconut cream, lemon zest and carrie. Of course tropica mango has herbs and small things, but once you get passionfruit, mango and white sapote at lowes, you're pretty satisfied (I call it the 3 factors: flavor/sour, juicy, and creamy). You can always just graft a scion that growers online will happily give to you as long as you pay shipping (5-10$).
darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the highlights of both HD and Lowes that aren't mentioned already on the forum are the jacarandas, Brazilian papayas, Honeyhart cherimoyas, Hawaiian-type plumerias, Ice Cream bananas, Fuyu persimmons, Low-chill/All-in-one almonds and finger limes. Surprised

Last edited by darkcoolboo on Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Among the deciduous trees/cold hardy ones, the most notable ones, in my opinion, are persimmon and the almonds. Persimmon along with stone fruits are among the most productive of all plants, rivaling tropicals like white sapote and citrus. It gets better that not many persimmons varieties are better than the common nonastrigent/Fuyu and the astringent/Hachiya. This come off two way; you becomes tired of the flavor of common varieties or that these varieties are the easiest to collect.

Last edited by darkcoolboo on Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
myamberdog

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcb - what is an example of a "Brazilian" papaya....?

myamberwoofie
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always trying papaya and they get consistently killed every year. The problem is that even lows of only 32 do them in, which happens here almost every year. While mangoes are good to 29 or so. Palm springs being just a couple degrees warmer makes a big difference I think. I have gotten papayas to grow to about 4 feet but didn't get fruit on them, even then. Oh well, I just put out the seed these days and hope for the best.

Another source of tropical fruit trees is mail order from Florida. I have had good experiences with Top Tropicals. It's a bit expensive but you can find things there that you will never find locally.
darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brazilian papaya is the one from Laverne that have the papaya print on the pot. It's a normal looking papaya with a similar leaf structure as 'Maradol', but the color is different. I kept mine in the garage since I bought it in Oct, but I'm surprised that they are that tender. We've only had 1 week freeze this year and I'm surprised that growing on a mound, Xmas lights and frost cloth isn't enough. I suppose that I could try heat lines/mats as well or pot them until they start to flower then hit them with nitrogen in the winter and fruit in the spring next year. I just hope my lone 'Brazilian' will fruit by itself (my 'Tainung #2, no one could identify its gender). I plan to germinate some 'Solo' from the market next month.

rsz_10819071_405052052981237_1453916101_n.jpg
 Description:
Tainung #2
 Filesize:  41.29 KB
 Viewed:  29833 Time(s)

Tainung #2

rsz_110743825_395104910642618_459126015_n.jpg
 Description:
Unknown size growth of Tainung #2
 Filesize:  47.06 KB
 Viewed:  29829 Time(s)

Unknown size growth of Tainung #2

rsz_10752068_398504966969279_2060347714_n.jpg
 Description:
Brazilian (right) vs Maradol size (left); Maradol is as old as Tainung #2
 Filesize:  50.37 KB
 Viewed:  29829 Time(s)

Brazilian (right) vs Maradol size (left); Maradol is as old as Tainung #2

myamberdog

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks PT - yeah I think my story on Papayas will be a longer version of what you experience. Mine can go 3 years or so between really killing frosts, and I'll cover them up to about 10 feet high, then it gets a bit ridiculous to try and cover them, and when we had two nights of 28.8 degrees (at least that what I registered on my weather station) the leaves just went limp and that was that.

I actually live in a cold pocket here in Palm Springs that gets the cold air drain coming down from the San Jacinto mountains as i live real close to them. So even though I know our reported LOW temps generally average a few degrees warmer than yours I don't experience that, unfortunately. I'm probably, actually, closer to what you guys get.

So my conclusion is that normal papayas planted outside will suffer dire consequences every few years....unless.....I get and plant the dwarf varieties which will be coverable/protectable for a longer period of time and thus should produce more of a crop of fruit. This year, many of the small green papayas that had formed have fallen off the trunks of the trees, which did not happen the last few years when there would be some frost damage and they stuck around to ripen in the spring, so this was a really snappy cold that caused this damage.....yeah, I think dwarf varieties may hold the key because of their ability to winterize more easily.

DCB - I don't see the brazilian papaya print on the HD or Lowe's pots that we have in our local stores. Maybe we don't have the same varieties delivered....

maddy
darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from TR Hovey, Red Lady is a dwarf variety from Florida. It's a Mexican type, so it has red flesh. I hope that Brazilian tastes better than store bought Maradols.

rsz_10805455_398504963635946_197317473_n (1).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.69 KB
 Viewed:  29818 Time(s)

raimeiken

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkcoolboo wrote:
For all those AZ pple out there, I personally feel that Lowes is the best nursery out there. Sure you should support local nurseries, but Tropica mango is expensive and I've never been to shamus o leary (though i follow both fb/facebook pages) before. I'm planning to drive up there on valentines day because he posted that his shipment is coming that day or so. For other places, it might be either HD (home depot) or lowes that supplies the tropical plants, but near my house, it's lowes.

I often look at the messages at Tropica mango fb page and i feel discouraged at the sheer fact that tropica mango costs 3x $$$ than lowes. On average a plant at lowes is only 22$ (12$ on sale). Tropica mango varying prices (5-200) and it's very confusing. That okrung was 200$, but now I realize that I could have just bought a 20$ rootstock at lowes, took a grafting class at AZRFG, then grafted much better varieties like coconut cream, lemon zest and carrie. Of course tropica mango has herbs and small things, but once you get passionfruit, mango and white sapote at lowes, you're pretty satisfied (I call it the 3 factors: flavor/sour, juicy, and creamy). You can always just graft a scion that growers online will happily give to you as long as you pay shipping (5-10$).

I'm with you on Tropica mango's prices. I dont know how he can charge for so much and people keep buying from him. latest crazy pricing I saw from his facebook was the $98 Australian finger limes LOL I posted a pic of the $26 one's I found at a Homedepot near me and they're the same size.

Shamus on the other hand has very reasonable prices. it's definitely worth paying him a visit. I've gotten quite a few trees from him in the past 3-4 years. I've gotten: Alphonso Mango, Ice cream bean tree, Longans, and Jaboticabas from him and all still in great shape.

here's a list of tropical/subtropical plants/trees I'm growing:

Alphonso Mango
Guava "Tropical Pink"
Longan "Kohala" x2
Ice Cream Bean tree
Jaboticaba "Sabara" x 3
Banana "Apple banana/Manzano"
Banana "Dwarf Namwah"
Banana "Thousand Fingers"
Banana "Raja Puri"
Orange
Calamondin
Pummelo "Valentine"
Pummelo "Chandler"
Pummelo "Tahitian"
Sugar Cane "Green"
Sugar Cane "Purple"

Giant Timber Bamboo
Giant Umbrella plant
Rice paper plant
Shell Ginger
Canna "Bird of Paradise"
Canna "Bengal Tiger"
Canna "Kentucky Sunset"
Canna "Tuerckheimii"
Canna "Gigundo"
Canna "Angele Martin"
Canna "Ripples"
Canna "President"
Hong Kong Orchid trees
White Orchid tree
Red Orchid tree
Moreton bay fig trees
Ficus Roxburgh

and I just recently got addicted to Jaboticabas. I didn't know that there's so many different varieties of them. I'm trying to acquire as many as I can. and I'm also going to try and grow some rarer varieties from seed. It'll take a while for them to fruit but it'll be worth it! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: