Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

The best fruit varieties for AZ & chat

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myamberdog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks cool boo - yeah, def. says "Brazilian"....an by the way, my TR Hovey seeds ordered from Aloha developed into MONSTER papaya trees - think they sent me the wrong ones? The flesh was yellow. Anyway, way to big for keeping smaller and coverable....

Alphonso, Raime, what an interesting tasting mango! It does have that turpentiney overtone to it, but it came to grow on me and I loved every one of the 20 fruits I got last year! And it's a real fast grower in our heat! Hope you enjoy it. I'm still telling everyone about the BEST MANGO I'VE EVER TASTED in the Lemon Zest....the citrusy/orange overtones make it just a spectacular, and again, a fast grower, but I ordered it from Florida and expense for sure.....but I have been grafting a bunch (6 took now) onto my large manila tree since I found those fruit very average so I'm transforming that tree....cut it WAY back....let me see if I can find a pic....hard to see the grafting attempts but they're there.....maddy

Manny after the Chop 092914.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.68 MB
 Viewed:  671 Time(s)

raimeiken

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't actually tasted any fruit from it yet. I've had it for 3 years now but only have planted it in ground last spring. Would love to taste one and also the lemon zest and coconut cream. I'll probably try grafting some into it since I'm running out of room for more trees Laughing

Your tree is huge by the way! how old is that tree? and how cold does it get in your area? any freezes?
myamberdog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raime - it's a 10 year old HD manila, but as you can see i really hacked iit back to start the process of making it into an LZ tree. Yes we get frosts - it was 28.8 for two nights in a row early last month, but this tree has that southern near-the-house protection as well as some palm trees above it, plus I had it covered with frost cloth so it's been proven to be in a good spot. Other mangoe's I covered (I've got about 20 trees) suffered upper leaf and branch die back so I'm def. in a cold draining spot here in Palm Springs. Just bad luck for the location I bought in....

Hopefully this year you'll get at least a couple Alphie's to taste.....Yum! But as I said somewhere before, my Edward Mango is by far the earliest flowering and fruiting. Last year I had my first mango in June, and it's on a flowering rampage right now!

Maddy

Edward Flowering 020215.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.73 MB
 Viewed:  685 Time(s)

raimeiken

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had two nights at 28f as well and a couple more around 30f. My Mango is also in the southern side of my house next to the wall so there's plenty of protection there. No frost cloth since I'm lazy to protect it, and also I wanted to see how it'll hold up to the cold. Only got a little leaf damage on the top but that's it. I didn't lose any branches at all, pretty surprising.

Mine actually flowered and held some fruit last spring but it dropped them after a couple months. I think it's because I planted it in ground while it was flowering. The shock and stress probably got to it. It's ok though since I want it to focus more on growing taller before I have it hold any fruit.
myamberdog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a small hint of advice on infant mangoes as they grow and mature. Last year I lost a lot of my little babies to severe heat starting around April and beyond on the mango tree pictured here in my previous post. Many of them showed signs of blackening near the stem before falling off, though many fell off before that (as they always do, of course).

I just feel the extreme heat we get can be exaggerated on south-side of the house fruit trees, and when i started covering them with a 50% shade cloth, those fruit held and made it to maturity. You might not have that problem, but I sure noticed on this one tree and a few others, which I will now help protect when the heat kicks in. Most of my mangoes do fine in the heat and don't need any help....

MyamberD
darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of jabos, one of my favorite tropical fruit websites, http://tropicalfruitforum.com/, have a a popular topic on it.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=4238.0
You'll find everything you'll need to know them and I hear names like 'Grimal'/M. spirito-santensis and 'M.trunciflora' being tossed around. Perhaps you could contact some of those people for some scions to graft with. They're VERY generous people even to newcomers like me though you have to pay $10 shipping Wink Right now got some dragonfruit/pitaya, fig and suriname cherry being shipped.

They also claim that 'Sweet Tart', 'Coconut cream (CC)' and other Zill type mango are good. You might wanna check out my mango section on my list of varieties.
raimeiken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually do visit that site regularly and seen that very topic about jaboticabas. It's what got me hooked on them lol.

I contacted one of the members from Brazil that's selling seeds of rare varieties and bought some from him. It'll be a very long time until I get any fruit from them LOL but oh will it be worth it!
darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I got the cuttings of 'Condor' and 'Frankie's Red' Pitaya along with Elaeagnus latifolia/So-Shang, 'Negronne' fig and 'Lolita' suriname cherry. The pitaya and fig will root fine, but the others are variable. Frankie's red is a cross between Selenicereus Megalanthus and Condor. Selenicereus Megalanthus is very sweet and 'Condor' is flavorful. I'll share some once it matures. Another popular topic is dragonfruit:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=228.0

One these days I'll try my hand at selective breeding, mainly for drought and cold. It works well with seedlings that fruit quickly from seed. I might look into jackfruit, avocado and moringa. Some fruits already have committed breeders, so it's best to stay away from those.

rsz_hpim0494.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  285.17 KB
 Viewed:  657 Time(s)

rsz_hpim0489.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  397.11 KB
 Viewed:  677 Time(s)

Last edited by darkcoolboo on Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@raimeiken
You might want to collect some highly recommended varieties in the meantime because seeds take long to fruit. Confused

My pomelo is just about to blossom, though I doubt it'll get the red flesh that blood oranges are known for since the cold days are over. It blossomed in November, but all the fruit dropped. I plant to plant it in ground soon, so the flowers will probably drop again. raimeiken, any success with your specimen?
raimeiken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I've been looking around for sources before I went the seed route. Shamus is supposed to get me the red variety next month. He couldn't find any of the rarer Coronata variety I was looking for. I did find a source from Florida but he currently doesn't ship plants to AZ Sad

How long have you had your Valentine pummelo and how big is it?

I just got mine this past fall from Costco and planted it in ground right away. I got a leaf flush from it last month but no flowers yet. I'll probably have it focus on vegetative growth anyway for the first few years before I let it bear fruit.

The Tahitian on the other hand I got from Greenfield citrus nursery at the end of summer I think. It's a big specimen over 8ft tall! But it is still trying to recover from the shock of being uprooted and transplanted into my yard. They have their large citrus trees growing in ground at their farm, so they need to be dug out when you buy them. I won't be seeing any fruit from this guy for at least two years until it establishes itself. I did get a taste of the fruit though since it had a lot of them before they dug it out. And let me tell you, this variety taste amazing! A lot of people consider this the best tasting pummelo out there.
darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might grow Jabuticaba one day, but not until I get some experience with other stuff. My Valentine pomelo is a 15 gal and flowering. Surprised All the flowers fell last fall, and I really want a fruit this year so hopefully the transplant shock isn't too hard on it. Tahitian pomelo is the only other citrus fruit on my wishlist and since Lowes are getting their 14$ citrus in, I'll graft/practice Tahitian pomelo onto some C-35 rootstock. Cool Buddha's hand citron could also be a viable multigraft onto my Ponderosa lemon (one for aromatics, one for juice, both for zest). They even have the same cold temp (0 F) and dwarf. Looking at the 10+ fingerlimes on stock at my local HD has kinda lessen the value of it for me, in addition the 'sour' element of the yard covered by passion fruit and tons of free lemons from friends. It DOES do well in a shaded area (unlike most citrus), so if I find space, you know the drill. Laughing

I think I'll go ahead and confirm that my mango is sending up those flowering spikes and that I'll let nature take is course.
On a separate note, I started to make the soil mix of 50/50 Kellogg's GrowMulch and native soil instead of going to shamus because the empty holes are starting to look ugly.
R, where do you buy your bananas?

10968469_418986518270882_3632970518656449_n.jpg
 Description:
Mango flower spikes
 Filesize:  35.38 KB
 Viewed:  22107 Time(s)

Mango flower spikes

1374939_418986588270875_5804272338743288349_n.jpg
 Description:
New Manila Mangoes at Lowes 23.99$ + 1 yr warranty
 Filesize:  38.66 KB
 Viewed:  22103 Time(s)

New Manila Mangoes at Lowes 23.99$ + 1 yr warranty

raimeiken

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where did you get your Valentine from? I couldn't find any nurseries in town that had them. I just got lucky that Costco had a few when they brought out their citrus trees last fall.

I was hoping to find more varieties this spring at Costco, but it seems like they got their citruses from a different nursery this time. The selection was different, and they had no grapefruits/pummelos available.
darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valentine pomelo was one of my first plants because as you know citrus are the only things people will touch out here. I got a few scions from a friend, so I'm not sure where they got it. I think they got it through the CCPP, because it's the only way. I think citrus greening may have already infiltrated Phoenix after learning of its invasion into Yuma 2 years ago.
Aside from the matter (the oblivious public can keep on giving away free lemons), I truly feel that these two pomelos and a couple novelty citrus are worth growing. Not many pomelos come close. For example, Tahitian pomelo sports thin rind and the best flavor as rated by many citrus tasting in CA. Valentine has the floral flavor of tangerines, the color of blood oranges and tops it off with the fruit size of other pomelos. It is also a very new hybrid, so you know it ranks highly against older varieties. It has a very high brix as well.
If you aren't a pomelo junkie like me, then I would recommend a seedless kishu mandarin. Once Dekopan reaches the US, it all changes.

But once people are convinced that mangos grow here, they don't look back. Looking at my 'big 3' - my own fruit grading system, mangos fit the flavor, creaminess and juicy column. Creaminess isn't really highlighted in fruit, but Coconut cream mango is a creamy mango that invokes thoughts of coconut as well as mango. Sweet tart has a very high tartness, which is balanced by extreme sweetness. Lemon zest totally changes perception on mangoes.
raimeiken

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wanting to try those three mangoes! Do you know anyone locally that grows them and gets fruit from them?

I love pummelos, that's why I have three varieties of them in my yard: Chandler, Tahitian, and valentine. I'm looking for other varieties locally. I'm not a fan of the cocktail and oroblanco hybrids. But I believe greenfield has 'Thong dee'. Not sure if I've tried that one before. I usually try all the different ones from the local asian grocery stores, but they never have the variety name on the pummelos itself (which I really wish they do).

There's some new hybrids from Israel which sounds very promising. I hope we get these soon here in the states.
http://www.israelagri.com/?CategoryID=496&ArticleID=1045
Quote:

• "Flamingo" – Red Pomelo is a hybrid of the 'Chandler' pomelo with a hybrid of a Shamouti orange and a clementine. This pomelo variety ripens in the period from October to December and unlike other varieties it maintains its red color when the temperature drops. The pomelo is sweet (14% sugar) and seedless and its special feature is the presence of lycopene, a red pigment considered to possess unique health advantages such as preventing cancer.

• "Hanna", White Pomelo is a hybrid of the 'Tahitian' and 'Chandler' pomelos. This pomelo variety, which is white inside, ripens during the period from October to December. It is characterized by its especially sweet taste as it contains 12.6% sugar and it is seedless.

• "Einat" – Pink Grapefruit is a hybrid of the Hudson Tetrafluoride with a pomelo, which is not sour in taste. This grapefruit variety ripens during the period from October to January and it maintains its inner pink color (lycopene) throughout all the season. It contains 11.5% sugar and its segments are seedless. What makes this grapefruit unique is the absence of sourness.

• "Aliza" Grapefruit is a hybrid of the 'Chandler' pomelo with "Ora", an easily peelable fruit. This grapefruit variety ripens during the period from November to February and as it ripens so its inner and outer colors become orange. It contains 16% sugar and is seedless. The fruit owes its prominence to its sweet taste and high sugar content, and these qualities earned it high marks in tasting tests. The Aliza grapefruit has the potential to dominate the global market.

How does the dekopan taste like? I haven't tried the kishu mandarins but I did see some at costco for sale, along with the yuzu and buddha's hand
darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Costco do you find your citrus? Once you mentioned Buddha's hand citron my ears perked up!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: