Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Banyan Tree

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Tropicals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnypnaz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Banyan Tree Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I might be able to get my hands on a Ficus Benghalensis (Banyan) or Ficus Religiosa tree here in PHoenix? The Phoenix Zoo has a few and they are know to do well here if they dont get too cold.

Thanks!
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, at the zoo? Seems like an impossible tree to grow here. Where abouts is it? Ficus trees usually dump lots of seed so maybe you could get a seed or a seedling under that tree.
raimeiken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Boojum tree" has quite a few growing including a 15 year old specimen. Which is massive!

They told me that they grow them from cuttings and they've lost quite a lot of them. Maybe you could get a cutting from them?
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there it is. Probably is surviving the cold snaps because its right up against the building. Neat.
raimeiken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah the man said they have to place heaters underneath it during the coldest nights to keep it warm.
jonnypnaz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raimeiken wrote:
yeah the man said they have to place heaters underneath it during the coldest nights to keep it warm.

Thank you for getting back to me! My epic search for a banyan is over, treeland nursery in mesa/gilbert has dozens of them in 24in and 36in boxes...some with many aerial roots already started. Sensitive to cold so it'll be a long couple winters of watching the weather but the reward will be worth it if it turns out like the ones at the zoo with my flood irrigation.

I'm surprised they are growing that banyan in the pic so close to that building, banyans get huge and their roots show no mercy to structures around them.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you hit the banyan jackpot. Feast or famine apparently.
MKIVRYAN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont forget to share pictures when you get it in the ground and as it grows. Very Happy
raimeiken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any updates on your tree?

I have a few 4 year old Moreton Bay fig trees growing in 15gal pots right now. I collected the figs from Balboa park at San Diego and sprouted them. the biggest one so far is about 3-4ft tall? They have no issues with the cold/freeze here so far and they take the summer sun pretty well as long as they're well watered. They could be a lot bigger now if I had them planted in ground. I don't know if I ever will plant them in ground since this tree gets massive. and it's roots are gigantic. it'll tear up any foundation/sidewalk it gets near.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine at work from India was looking for a banyan branch in town. He needed for some kind of traditional thing. He found one in Scottsdale on the west end of the civic center park area. Here is a google street view of the tree. I think this is the right spot and that is actually a banyan, not a ficus. It's the big green one on the left. It's on the corner of North Brown Avenue and East Main St.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Scottsdale+Civic+Center+Plaza/@33.493117,-111.924539,3a,75y,90h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sgpRcQrdHsYyAKO7UadvM_w!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x872b0bc0d1ddc097:0x934421231eab883c?hl=en
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Tropicals All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: