Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Fungus (?) on the underside of Mango Leaf

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Fungus (?) on the underside of Mango Leaf Reply with quote

I am having some trouble diagnosing this fungus (I am not even sure it is a fungus). It is growing on the underside of my Glenn mango. It does not look like anthracnose nor does it look like powdery mildew or even the pictures of sooty mold.

Here are the symptoms:

- Glenn mango is grafted on to rootstock (Turpentine by the looks of it). The graft is pretty high on the tree and there are some original rootstock leaves left. This issue is not present on the rootstock leaves
- The oldest leaves of the Glenn graft are showing this issue, not present on the newest leaves. Maybe hasn't had a chance to infect them yet?
- It looks like black 'fuzz' spots on the underside of the leaf. It wipes away very easily.

Have you seen this before? Is it something to be worried about / need to take action against?

glenn_mango_leaf.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  glenn_mango_leaf.jpg
 Filesize:  126.99 KB
 Downloaded:  700 Time(s)

Datropicalman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried contacting the nursery where you bought it?
starch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Datropicalman wrote:
Have you tried contacting the nursery where you bought it?

That was a good suggestion. I did and got some very helpful feedback.

While the actual fungus was not identified, it is very much thought to be a fungus. They point out that the Turpentine rootstock is fungus resistant, put the grafted Glenn (of Indian heritage) is more susceptible to fungus. So the fact that these spots are occurring on the grafted leaves and not the rootstock leaves is strong evidence it is a fungal infection.

The mango is currently putting out a new growth flush, and so while they recommended to treat this with a fungicide, they said to wait until the current flush has hardened off a bit. Which I think is good advice.

I did a little more research on this.

I think what this fungal infection could be is black spot fungus. The reason I didn't find it before is that I was searching for mango infections, and this is fungus more commonly affects roses.

See: http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/disease/black-spot-fungus.htm

But the symptoms are very similar to what I am describing. Especially the fact that I am finding the fungus only on the undersides of the leaves (it cannot live in the sun).

I suspect the fungus infected the plant at the nursery, which I am sure is a much more humid environment than here. Because it is so hot and dry here, and if it is in fact black spot, I am much less worried about it. After this growth flush is finished, I will spray the underside of the leaves with a light solution of Neem+soap (the same spray I use to control caterpillars in my garden). Neem is a fungicide as well. Since this infestation is not bad, I don't want to go with a copper fungicide unless I have to (if the neem doesn't work).

I will post an update here after I give it a shot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: