Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Tropica Mango vs. Lowe's/HD vs. Shamus O'Leary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Tropica Mango vs. Lowe's/HD vs. Shamus O'Leary
Tropica Mango Rare & Exotic Fruit Nursery
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Lowe's and Home Depot
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
Shamus O'Leary's Tropical Fruit Trees
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Tropica Mango vs. Lowe's/HD vs. Shamus O'Leary Reply with quote

Here is my own personal opinion of each:

Tropica Mango Rare and Exotic Fruit Trees:
My $200 mango tree is the worst looking tree in yard and is the slowest growing. I bought it summer 2014, but mangoes of the same height cost $22 dollars at Lowes. It gives off vibrant red new growth every week, unlike mangos from Tropica Mango that are droopy and yellow. The nursery has astronomical prices. However, they have great customer service and do not hesitate to answer all my questions. They even refunded me $125 for that mango tree. It is a good place for beginners beacause they answer all your questions. I wouldn't recommend buying mature trees, but seedlings and young plants under $20 are well worth it. 7/10

Lowes:
Trees range from $17 to $35. The pricing makes sense, as faster growing plants are lower (papaya at $17), while slower growing ones are more expensive (persimmon at $35). The selection is fine as it gets all the things that thrive in Arizona and none the stuff that needs special growing conditions. They might not have very specific varieties, but attending a class at AZRFG for grafting is always an option. There is a 1 year warranty on all plants. It is fun if you know about growing plants confidently, but you should still support local nuseries. 7/10

Shamus O'Leary:
Plants rise in cost as demand increases. For example, a nice 'Aravaipa' avocado is $55 but is the most wanted plant. Also, a mature slow growing but low demand (Loquat), is only $25. The trees are older than those at Lowes at a reasoable price. They often have very rare plants like banana shrub that sell out quickly, so act quickly! They have the largest selection of plants, even more so than some California nurseries. The customers service is amazing and the whole atmoaphere is relaxing. 10/10

Are there any other tropical nurseries do you know of?

Last edited by darkcoolboo on Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Datropicalman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Nathan, my Aravaipa avocado are $55, not $98. Loquat are $25, not $40. And across the board, most of my prices have decreased, not increased, due to popularity I can buy in larger quantities and get better deals. The quality of my inventory smokes anything found in a box store, and my service and experience with these trees will put them to shame.
darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry for not being up-to-date, but I haven't been to your nursery in quite a while.
It's kinda disappointing that no one has answer. I chose Lowes as a good place because it's a good place for beginners to get a feel for the whole tropical fruit scene. Datropicalman, does your nursery have a no question, not even have a receipt return policy? Confused I would like to mention that sites online (like another forum that I mention often) have members that would happily give out multiple scions of mango if you pay shipping costs of 10-15$. You can buy a rootsock mango and graft superior varieties such as Lemon Zest, Fruit Punch and Orange Sorbet. They even would send a Mangifera odorata scion if you contact select people in Florida. If you are concerned about the whole 'patented' variety thing (it only affects one variety, 'Coconut Cream'), then you can try grafting older varieties like Dot, Carrie and Maha Chanook. 'Pickering', 'Valencia Pride', 'PPK', 'Cogshall', 'Cac', Nam Doc Mai #4, and 'Keitt' are good as well.

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/cno_acc.pl?74609
Just wanted to say that it is not possible for National Plant Germplasm System to give away anymore, but you can still ask some Floridians.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don. You have grafts of the Aravaipa avocado? Or are they seedlings. I'd imagine actually a seedling is better because salt tolerance is the most common problem here actually. Maybe you have a an Arvaipa graft on an Aravaipa seedling?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: