Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

plumeria questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Plumerias
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spinflick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: plumeria questions Reply with quote

I'm new to growing plumeria and I was wondering if you could answer a few questions about plumeria for me. I live in Apache Junction, Az, and I bought one the other day at Lowe's but the person that was there didn't really know enough about the plant to help me, so I looked around on the internet and found your site and it was very informative, but I am still a little confused as what I should now do with my plumeria, I believe it is the rubra grouping as the leaves are duller and pointed, it is in a 2.5 quart container now, there are 11 leaves and it looks like more coming out of the point. The plant is about 2 feet tall. It also seems to have a slight curve from the left to the right. My question is should I put it in another pot now or wait till later? Is any kind of pot ok? Which light porous soil would you recommend? I would like to grow it in a pot and not plant it in the yard and just move it around for the sun shade combination. I'm also not sure how much water and sun it should be getting right now, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and have a great day.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question is should I put it in another pot now or wait till later?

A: I think you could transplant it now.

Is any kind of pot ok?

A: Lightly colored ceramic pots are best. The light color keeps the sun from cooking the roots and the ceramic is also a good insulator. Go for white or a very light beige. Make sure it has drain holes in the bottom. Get the biggest pot you can carry with the soil fairly dry. Even small pots are heavy after watering. My biggest plumeria pot is 12" high and 14" in diameter. You don't want to go bigger than that if you are going to be lifting it.

Which light porous soil would you recommend?

A: Currently I like the Miracle Grow moisture control brand.

I would like to grow it in a pot and not plant it in the yard and just move it around for the sun shade combination.

A: Under the eave of the south facing porch (outside radius of the plant right at the edge) is perfect for summer and winter. In summer with the sun high it will be in full shade in this spot, in winter with the sun low it will be in full sun but have some overhead protection. Move inside in the winter if frost threatens. The rest of the year I have it out in full sun.

I'm also not sure how much water and sun it should be getting right now.

A: Water about once every two weeks right now.

Enjoy your plumeria. Smile
darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PT, what varieties of plumeria do you grow?
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singapore Obtusa and Penang Peach. Care for all of them is pretty much the same. I have tried lots of varieties but have settled on these two because they have great flowers, bloom a lot, and branch a lot making them suitable for smaller spaces and pots.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Plumerias All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: