Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Fertilizers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Fertilizers Reply with quote

Here is a list of organic and chemical fertilizers and where you can buy it here in AZ. I have selected fertilizers that are likable by salt sensitive plants such as mango, lychee and jaboticaba.
If your specific plants has no preference and is fast grower, then I would recommend 21-0-0 Ammonium Sulfate (at HD and Lowe's) and Ironite. If you have any other fertilizer suggestions,
have seen these products at other nurseries in Arizona or have found a better price elsewhere, please reply.

Organic:
Humic Acid - Shamus O'Leary's Tropical Fruit Trees
Organic Gem Fish Emulsion - Shamus O'Leary's Tropical Fruit Trees
Liquid Seaweed/Kelp Fertilizer - Shamus O'Leary's Tropical Fruit Trees
Worm Castings - Shamus O'Leary's Tropical Fruit Trees
BioFlora Dry Crumbles Chicken Waste - Elgin Nursery & Tree Farm, SummerWinds Nursery, The Urban Farm Nursery

Chemical:
HEP 35 Foliar Spray - Shamus O'Leary's Tropical Fruit Trees
8-3-9 In-ground - Shamus O'Leary's Tropical Fruit Trees
7-5-4 Container - Shamus O'Leary's Tropical Fruit Trees
Specialty Foliar Spray - Shamus O'Leary's Tropical Fruit Trees
Sequsetrine 138 Chelated Iron - Shamus O'Leary's Tropical Fruit Trees
Plumeria Specific Fertilizer - Shamus O'Leary's Tropical Fruit Trees
Dynagro Soil Drench - Online
Azomite - Shamus O'Leary's Tropical Fruit Trees

The best combo would be: Specialty Foliar Spray, BioFlora Dry Crumbles Chicken Waste, Humic Acid, Worm Castings, Organic Gem Fish Emulsion and Azomite.
starch

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to go organic, and most of my fertilizer is free. I compost kitchen scraps and yard waste (pruning remnants, leaves, trimmings, spent vegetable plants, etc.) and do hot composting to break it down and then for all but the hottest months feed it to my worms to make vermicompost. In this spring I will make a lot of vermicompost tea to get everything started for the year. This makes up most of my fertilizer regimen.

For citrus trees / not salt sensitive trees (like pomegranate, plums, etc.) I will add a bag of composted steer manure to the soil and work it in. Low in NPK by ratio but when you add a 30 lb bag per tree you get a nice total amount of NPK and organics to help change the soil and retain moisture. Add its cheap!

For general fertilization I do Neptunes Harvest Fish-Seaweed blend (I buy the 5 gallon buckets to save money on a per unit basis).

Also I use Urban Farms Bio-Active (5-4-4) as a general purpose fertilizer. It has lots of good stuff, including several strains of mycorrhizae.

For extra nitrogen (especially bananas) I like to use Blood meal (usually Jobes, can find at Lowes).

For extra phosphorous (vegetables and citrus) I use Fish-based Bone Meal

For extra potassium (bananas) I use Texas Greensand, which has a whole host of other trace minerals as well.

I also use hardwood charcoal for grilling (lump, not briquette which have binders and other 'stuff'). And I will put the potash from that into my compost. It is very high pH, so I would never apply it directly. But the humic acid in the compost helps to neutralize the high pH.
darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really recommend trying to go into the whole pH adjusting and not run the risk, but if it's working for you, then it must be good.

Most Californians use only BioFlora Dry Crumble, humic acid and fish emulsion. But for here, foliar spray is good because of the high pH soil and plus, it's difficult to spray worm tea. You might want to try it out. I should add an 8-8-8 complete to my salt tolerant ones instead and adding sulfur alongside. Starch how do you know when you don't have enough NPK so you can act accordingly; do you have a simple soil test kit?

I would say the all-purpose is Fish emulsion and BioFlora dry crumble (I only have the fish right now), the booster shot would be Humic acid or Kelp and the supplement would be foliar spray. I mean if I feel crazy one day during the flowering cycle, then I might add some bone meal. They say that potassium makes fruit sweeter so I might look into this 'Texas greensand' stuff.

Recently, I've been looking into green manure/cover crops, but I haven't found a seed supplier here in AZ for Lablab and Sorghum-Sudangrass.

http://aces.nmsu.edu/programs/sare/documents/Principles%20and%20Observations%20of%20Cover%20Crops%20in%20Southwestn%20NM_NM%20SustAgConference_Dec3_2013_Deming_NM.pdf

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDIQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fextension.arizona.edu%2Fpubs%2Faz1519.pdf&ei=_8NSVcPXGYimyATN5oDoAw&usg=AFQjCNGWBbeSDX_HtJKubNIBSuOdUP-oZA&sig2=aSG2avRm56UOSfY7q3Vsnw&bvm=bv.93112503,d.aWw

A lablab/sesbania mix also seems good.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green lawn clippings have seemed to work magic with my lychee. Maybe some acidifying affect with them?
raimeiken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone know where I can get a bag of the bioflora dry crumbles?

I called summerwinds and elgin nursery and was told that they both only carry the compost not the dry crumble fertilizer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: