Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Mango trees in the West Valley

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Troys123

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Mango trees in the West Valley Reply with quote

Here are my mangoes that i am growing

Also growing Pin Saen Mun
Manilita
Lemon Zest - All my mangoes are young but in the ground only the Keitt has produced (1) LOL Very Happy . I do expect more next year . I pinched off all flowers from Manilita and PSM this year

I have a ( 3 gal ) Mhun Khun See and Himsagar in shade still in pots awaiting planting when cooler.

Will purchase another Sweet tart in Fall. Maybe switch out Manilita for a Honey Kiss or Fairchild or Fruit Punch in Fall !

Happy growing guys

20150708_073629.jpg
 Description:
Okrong Tung - Planted 7 gal 10/14
 Filesize:  2.21 MB
 Viewed:  628 Time(s)

Okrong Tung - Planted  7 gal 10/14

20150708_073601.jpg
 Description:
Sweet tart 3 gal - Planted 3/2015 - No fruit recently planted
 Filesize:  2.1 MB
 Viewed:  637 Time(s)

Sweet tart 3 gal - Planted 3/2015 - No fruit recently planted

20150708_073614.jpg
 Description:
Keitt planted 7 gal 2/2014 - first time fruiting 1 held
 Filesize:  1.88 MB
 Viewed:  643 Time(s)

Keitt planted 7 gal 2/2014 - first time fruiting 1 held

raimeiken

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks great! where about are you in the west valley? I'm over here as well in the north west close to the Arrowhead mall.

I'm growing three

Alphonso - been in the ground for a year. Scragly growth, I trimmed it back a month ago in hopes of getting some vertical shoots out of it.

Coconut cream - planted early spring of this year. 7gal size. I've been trip pruning it to get more bushy growth, so I'll get more fruits next year.

Lemon Zest - planted early spring also. 15gal size. Very thick trunk. Tip pruning this one also. It has lots of new growth all over. I wasn't planning on having it hold fruit its first year in ground but I couldn't resist. It held onto two fruits but they both split opened, so I had to remove them.

I'm working on growing some manila seedlings right now and transferring them in ground this fall. I'm going to dig a deep hole for these so they can sink their taproot deep and get them accustomed to our soil right away. Then I'll try grafting some good varieties on them later next year once they've gotten to a decent size.

Troys123

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raimeken , i am in Tolleson . I have 7 in ground ( all basically young trees). I have holes prepped for 3 more in October !

Did you cover your trees against the heat ?I had to , if not the heat would surely burn up the leaves and plants , especially that my trees are so newly planted!

My Madam Frances burned up and died ( the only plant i didn't cover properly)...,.lesson learned however i am kinda glad it happened i will probably replace with a ST. Maui ...delicious !

Happy growing !!

Mike Smile
darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I woulld totaly go for Fruit Punch! Although I haven't tried it yet, it's presumably the next Zill mango comming out. It's got rave reviews on tropical fruit forum .com!
raimeiken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no sun protection here on mine. I have some fast growing shrubs growing next to them to help shade their trunks from the heat. but other than that I just let them take the sun full on. I do get a bit of sun burn on the older leaves but the new growth are unfazed.

only tree I have shade cloth on is the young Valentine pummelo I planted last fall from Costco.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: