Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Mango Trees starting to flower

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bkaus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Mango Trees starting to flower Reply with quote

I haven't looked up if there is anything to help set fruit on a mango tree here in Phoenix. All my Mango trees are sending out flower buds. Would it help to shake the tree each day what is the best time of day. What is the pollinator for the mango? I think I read somewhere it was flies? Last year I only got one mango from my 7 trees because they all got frozen back but no freeze damaged this year Hey!

Thanks
Bruce
myamberdog

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Bkaus, I'm not exactly sure how they get fertilized but I think it is bugs, flies, bees, even wind as all mangoes are self-pollinating. I've not heard of shaking the tree, but that couldn't hurt if you didn't do it too roughly.

Mine are in heavy bloom right now in Palm Springs....here's a couple pictures from my yard:

Edward 021816.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.7 MB
 Viewed:  639 Time(s)

Alphonso 021816.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.57 MB
 Viewed:  613 Time(s)

Lemon Zest 021816.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.75 MB
 Viewed:  635 Time(s)

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last couple of years I fertilized them with fish emulsion 5-1-1 and 0-10-10 every other week this time of year and they held their fruit and I got a huge crop. I think it makes a difference. Mix a cap full of each into a gallon of water and pour around the drip line of the tree every one to two weeks. Don't use chemical fertilizers, they seem to burn mango trees in our soil here. Also mulch generously around your trees with lawn clippings etc. Just don't pile the green mulch more than a couple of inches deep or too close to the trunk because it can get hot as it breaks down. I don't like the home depot compost. It seems too salty. Just use your yard clippings. Good luck.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't do anything to pollinate the flowers. The bees do it and they are self fertile.
teddb86

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of shacking the tree to aid pollination. Leave that to the busy bees and other useful pollinators.
myamberdog

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I've started using Kelp meal with a 1-0-2 ratio as I believe that the last number, the potassium, is a essential for fruit quality and quantity and last year I loaded Rock Phosphate dust around lots of plants to handle the Phosphorous requirement. I just bought some "coop" poop (chicken fert.) which is 2-4-3 so I think I have about the same percentages that you have, PT.....but I do like fish emulsion too....

And yes,I also plan an every-2-week regime of feeding. Every single week just seemed to "UGH!".....

Gary

Last edited by myamberdog on Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
starch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

myamberdog wrote:
And I've started using Kelp meal with a 1-0-2 ratio as I believe that the last number, the potassium, is a essential for fruit quality and quantity and last year I loaded Rock Phosphate dust around lots of plants to handle the Phosphorous requirement. I just bought some "coop" poop (chicken fert.) which is 2-4-3 so I think I have about the same percentages that you have, PT.....but I do link fish emulsion too....

And yes,I also plan and every-2-week regime of feeding. Every single week just seemed to "UGH!".....

Gary

Gary, man those are beautiful blooms and trees! My Glenn is blooming vigorously as well. And my (tiny) Pickering is also blooming. That is one precocious sucker! Too small to hold fruit, but it doesn't seem to know that Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: