Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Phoenix Mango Tree Pics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MangoObsessed

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject: Phoenix Mango Tree Pics Reply with quote

I recently bought and planted two mango trees , A 4 year old Alphonso and 1 year old Keitt.

Havent got good sleep till then and spent 1000 hours browsing internet for a single mango tree in phoenix bearing big ripe mangoes.

Can anybody post a pic here so that i can sleep . I am really a mango lover....i want to know if tress will bear big fruits here in Phoenix.

Thank you...

Last edited by MangoObsessed on Mon May 25, 2015 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you got them from Shamus, then I would trust him. He's been doing this for a long time. I bet if you typed something like 'mango fruiting' into the search button, then you would find something. I think you've come to the right place for those kinds of photos. Some people, when they find that mango can be fruited here, drop everything and invest. As for taking care of them, there are quite a few different approaches.

Welcome to the forum!
Datropicalman

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/fPKRIisVzOU

YouTube Shamus O'Leary for other proof of life videos

darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a nice picture of mangoes from Amadio Ranch

11659252_10153141114953800_1507825640111430357_n.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  11659252_10153141114953800_1507825640111430357_n.jpg
 Filesize:  76.72 KB
 Downloaded:  803 Time(s)

myamberdog

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's my Alphonso from a couple years ago.... I live in Palm Springs, CA, very similar desert climate to yours. This year, the tree is loaded with blossoms and I hope lots of fruit....The Alphonso has a piney aftertaste which I grew to love......good luck....

Alphonso 062914.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.79 MB
 Viewed:  730 Time(s)

Phoenix Mango Tree Pics

Alphonso 070814.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.58 MB
 Viewed:  717 Time(s)

Phoenix Mango Tree Pics

myamberdog

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone in the Phoenix area grow the Lemon Zest mango? It's my fastest grower, excellent producer and to me my best tasting. Here's a pic from earlier in May. There are about 35 beauties on this tree. This tree has been in the ground about 4 1/2 years. About 8 feet high and 5 feet wide. Seems to do extremely well in our heat....Guess you could call this a recommendation for the desert!!!!

MadDog

LZ1 051816.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.68 MB
 Viewed:  701 Time(s)

Phoenix Mango Tree Pics

darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

say mdog, what is the average yield (in lbs) for that tree?
myamberdog

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, dcb....there are about 30 mangoe's on this tree at an average weight of about 12 ounces each - I think that's about 24 lbs. of fruit....

Maddie
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the photos on the page dedicated to mangoes were taken in Mesa AZ. http://www.phoenixtropicals.com/mango.html Mangoes take the heat well here. The biggest challenges are freezing temperatures during the winter and that they burn easily from chemical fertilizers. Your chances of getting a mango through the winter are much better if you live in a warmer spot in town. Generally, the outskirts of the city get colder at night, and more densely populated neighborhoods stay warmer, but the lay of the land is also a big factor. Wherever you live you will probably need to cover your tree at least every 3 years for a handful of nights. So, if you don't imagine yourself doing that then I wouldn't recommend planting one. There will also be lots of false alarms were the news says it will freeze and it does not so in reality you'll end up covering your trees a couple nights every winter even though you probably didn't need to... if you live in a warm spot. I haven't had a hard freeze at my place in 2 years but I'm sure there is a hammering down the road here somewhere. My oldest mango tree, the Keller, has been in the ground for 14 years and has a 6 inch trunk on it. In the tropics this tree would be 20 feet tall by now. Here it is about 6 feet. Mango fruit taste awesome in this climate. Even though mangoes aren't easy to grow they are still way easier than avocados. I have known enthusiasts that have gotten avocados to produce here but its really difficult and every fruit I have tasted from trees that are grown here is yucky. Still I do have an avocado struggling in a shady spot that I am hoping one day will amount to something. It's been there a couple of years and grows maybe an inch a year at best.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: