Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Atemoyas in Phoenix anyone?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raimeiken

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenixtropicals, Any updates on your atemoya?

Would love to see updated pics of it now. Any idea what type it is also? I'm thinking of getting one and planting it in ground in a protected spot.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My atemoya is doing well. It is healthy, about 6 feet tall, and flowers all summer but no fruit. However, I am going to get serious about hand pollinating it soon. A friend of mine told me how to go about it so I have a better idea now. The variety is Geffner. I ordered it from Florida. I'll try to put an updated photo of it here soon.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a sugar apple a while back. It died I think 3 years ago when we had a significant freeze. I think sugar apple is more frost sensitive then atemoya. It even seems that just cold weather, not freezing was harder on the sugar apple as well. They say sugar apples make good potted plants. I might try that one of these days.
starch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phoenixtropicals wrote:
My atemoya is doing well. It is healthy, about 6 feet tall, and flowers all summer but no fruit. However, I am going to get serious about hand pollinating it soon. A friend of mine told me how to go about it so I have a better idea now. The variety is Geffner. I ordered it from Florida. I'll try to put an updated photo of it here soon.

Nice! If you do get a successful hand pollination next year, please share the procedure. That would very useful and very encouraging!
raimeiken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

had a sugar apple as well 5 years ago and died from cold weather. Really sensitive to cold. but took the summer heat like a champ. full sun with no shade protection.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a photo of my atemoya. It is sandwiched between a navel orange and a loquat. It's about 6 feet tall with some branches stretching out on top to about 10 feet. It's looking a bit chlorotic lately. I think its because I was watering extra during the heat wave. I have given it a little EDDHA iron yesterday just in case. I generally don't fertilize it at all. I tried hand pollinating a couple flowers that were close to the ground the other day. I'll tell you if it gives me any positive results.

atemoya.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  127.26 KB
 Viewed:  17981 Time(s)

Atemoyas in Phoenix anyone?

raimeiken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks great!

how well does it take our winters here? what type of protection have you put on it?
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is damaged at about 29° F like mangoes and guavas. I have covered it when things got really cold to be safe. I have found that having a thick covering is more effective than putting a light bulb under a thin covering, so I pile on multiple layers of frost cloth when a freeze threatens now. Of course, a thick covering with a bulb is even better but running the power cords is a pain, so I go thick before I go electric. The ground is a source of heat if you make the covering into a tent with the ground as the floor. Unlike mangoes it seems to bloom during the summer even if its been frozen back some in the winter. I have purchased big rolls of frost cloth online so that I can cover 6 foot trees. It's much cheaper like that.

Here are some links that might interest you

http://www.phoenixtropicals.com/atemoya.html

http://www.phoenixtropicals.com/frostDamageChart.html

http://www.berryhilldrip.com/gg-51-10-to-50-widths-is-a-heavy-weight-cover--blanket-protects-down-to-20-degrees-f-transmits-50-light.html
TonytheCRFGGuy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also consider planting them in pots to better avoid frost damage. Large pots can be a hassle, but it's often worth it. I've lived the lifestyle for many years of constantly moving huge potted fruit trees to and fro. I've grown figs in pots up to 35 & 40 gallons. I've tried everything. I found these two potted plant movers from www.NurseryEnterprises.com, and I've used the bigger one for years. It's allowed me alone to easily do the work of a team of men--all without damaging my back or my expensive pots.

http://www.nurseryenterprises.com/15-gallon-tree-dolly.html

http://www.nurseryenterprises.com/large-pot-dolly.html

darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Tony,
Where do you buy massive 40 gal pots? And how do you protect your trees from frost when they are that size?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: