Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Plumeria leaves turning yellow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Landscaping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hooty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Plumeria leaves turning yellow Reply with quote

We recently (3months) planted a 3 stalked plumeria plant on south side if the house but it gets shaded after about 2pm. I have 2 questions: 1) the leaves are turning yellow & 2) only one of the 3 stalks is flowering-- is that normal? Any suggestions about the yellow leaves would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.
Hooty
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The south side is a very tough place for a plant to grow because it is really an oven midday. I'm guessing your plumerias leaves are getting sunburned. I'd recommend an eastern exposure for you plant instead. The flowers will also last longer and be nicer if they are not subjected to the sun during the hottest times of the day.

Also, your plant could be turning yellow because it is getting overwatered. You should only water it once a week in the summer. If you are watering every day it will probably kill your plumeria rather quickly. Also, once root rot, from overwatering, has set in there is not much you can do to stop it. It will start by the base of the plant turning black and it will work its way up the trunk. If that happens then the only thing you can do is take a cutting from one of your plants healthy branches, let the wound dry out for a week in the house, and then pot it up in potting soil, and then wait for it to root in the shade.

Having a plumeria flower at all the first year is a real accomplishment, and I often have a only a fraction of the stalks flower. That is normal.
Hooty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Plumeria Reply with quote

Thank you so very much for that info. I will try shading the plant for now & see how it does. I was also advised to put mulch around it & scale back the watering schedule.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Landscaping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: