Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Location of raised garden

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Landscaping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mullenium

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Location of raised garden Reply with quote

I just set up my raised garden on the eastern side of my house, my house is north/south facing with the backyard being on the northern side.

Since I live in a newer subdivision I have a 2 story house on the east side which blocks the sun until about 11am and then the sun starts to decend over my roof at 2pm, so that three hours is all the sun the raised garden will get (cantaloupe, watermelon, strawberrys, and a cucumber plant.. also thinking about a pumpkin)

is that enough sun? I figured during the summer If I give it full sun they might not all survive and less sun would probably makethem grow slower but not be likely to die from sunburn/heat as easily.

I also planted a small Cherry of the Rio Grande on that side and also a Plumeria cutting next to it with a mix of native dirt cactus potting mix and mulch. I thought the plumeria would be torched in full sun and also the cherry cant take full sun here for the first couple years so I figured this would be ideal spot?

Did I screw up the location? Should I have planted on the western side of my house? it gets probably an hour more sun on that side but it is later in the afternoon so probably a bit hotter.

The only concern is since its on the side of my house up against the brick retaining wall with the 2 story as my neighbor on that side will it be hotter than normal?

Thanks for the help!
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Vegetable Garden Location Reply with quote

I have my vegetable garden on the east side of my house as well, in a similar situation, although I think I get sun a little bit earlier. My garden grows fairly well, but I do think it would do better with more sun. One thing I have learned is that most vegetables really don't do well in the heat of summer, regardless of their exposure, so you really might be best just going for full sun and only growing veggies during the cooler months.

I think pumpkins have to survive the summer so the easter exposure is best for them.

It sounds like you have the plumeria and CRG in good spots.
mullenium

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool that is good news!

I think I should have spent more time on the plumeria's planting medium, but I guess I'll see if it likes it.. dipped it in superthrive before I planted ot to help the roots sprout

Yeah hopefully the melons survive the heat, I think they will. I was reading and AZ is the largest producer of watermelons in the country.

Its reassuring though your setup is in a similar situation. I was debating on going full sun but I figured I can tough out the slower growth if it will have a better chance of survival Smile

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Landscaping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: