Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Brown leaves on jacaranda

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Ornamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wwoody

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Brown leaves on jacaranda Reply with quote

We have a jacaranda planted in 2006 and severely frozen in Jan. 2007. It came back fairly well but now has some branches and stems with yellow or brown leaves while others are green. Would you recommend a slow, deep watering and fertilizing? Or what?

Thanks much.
Bill Woody
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a Jacaranda but I just went over and checked out my neighbors plant which is always very healthy. It looks a little ragged now too, so I would say your plant is normal and that you should just water it regularly, which is about twice a week this time of year. The "brown" branches just might be developing into larger limbs. Only new limbs are green. Or its possible you have had a little die back over the winter which isn't a big deal either. If in a couple of months those branches still look dead you could trim them. Hope this helps.
GermanStar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old thread, I know, but I'll throw my 2 cents in anyways. I do have a Jacaranda, and it's a very tough, drought-resistant tree. Don't water it, and it will endure, but hardly leaf out. Put it on your drip system, and it will take off like crazy. That said, every year, some of the branches don't leaf out, suggesting winter die back, as posted above.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Ornamentals All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: