Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Appearance of Hong Kong orchid leaves

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Ornamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wwoody

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Appearance of Hong Kong orchid leaves Reply with quote

We planted a Honk Kong orchid tree last year. It froze to the ground in January but new stems are growing rapidly. However:

1. About 5% of the leaves look mottled brown.

2. Many of the leaves are yellow on tips and edges with green veins.

I have fed it chelated iron twice in the last 3 months. I give it about 8 gallons of water every 12 to 14 days.

Do you have any suggestions to make the leaves look healthier?

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-- Response

Orchid trees tend to drop a bunch of leaves a couple of times a year and they turn brown like that before dropping. I don't use any fertilizers on mine these days and they are doing well. The important thing is just to make sure the tree is sufficiently watered.

--- Here is a follow up question sent from Bill by email -----

I'm not sure how to evaluate if watering is sufficient. The tree is about 8 ft tall, froze to the ground in January. Gets around 8 gallons of water near the dripline every 12-14 days. I think the Master Gardeners say a soil probe should go down about 2 ft, but there are sizeable rocks (fist size?) at about 10-12 inches depth which stop my probe. If it's a natural leaf drop I won't worry, but I would like to see the leaves more uniformly green instead of looking chlorotic.

--- Response ----

12-14 days in the summer is relatively infrequent. I water mine every other day. You might want to check out the article on watering on the site. I keep my Hong Kong on a grass schedule.

On a canal irrigated lot, maybe a very well established tree could handle that type of low frequency due to having big roots and the depth at which totally flooding the yard soaks things. In any other situation I think the tree will be very thirsty on a 12 day frequency in summer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Ornamentals All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: