Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Lime Fruit and Leaves Yellow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Citrus
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quietrunning

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Lime Fruit and Leaves Yellow Reply with quote

Over the past few months, both the leaves and skin of the limes have turned yellow. The fruit is still good; the inside still pale green with a distinct lime taste, but the skin looks more like a Meyer lemon. This is a new development and all of the other citrus in the yard is doing fine. Any thoughts as to what I should do?
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people don´t realize it, but lime fruit do turn yellow when they get ripe. I think they actually taste much better when they are at that stage. Once yellow though, they will fall from the tree soon afterwards. As for your leaves turning yellow, limes tend to loose color during cold weather. However, the leaves should not get really yellow. Make sure that you are not overwatering your tree. See the article on citrus about watering recommendations. My citrus are only getting watered once every three weeks this time of year. Good luck!
quietrunning

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Lime Fruit and Leaves Yellow Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. The fruit is actually very good. Just one more question. I haven't been watering the citrus much during the winter. Do you think the heavy rain we experienced in Phoenix could have been enough to overwater the tree? If that is the case, I guess things should normalize as spring progresses.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its possible the rain overwatered them a little bit. I definitely didn´t need to water my citrus for months because of it. I´m guessing your tree will be fine. Don´t overfertilize it either. I really don´t fertilize my citrus much at all. I fertilize once or twice a year and at 1 quarter of what they recommend on the bag.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Citrus All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: