Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Ambarella, late May 2009

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Seasonal Gardening Photos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Ambarella, late May 2009 Reply with quote

Here is a photo of my Ambarella loaded with fruit.

ambarella.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  120.63 KB
 Viewed:  24198 Time(s)

Ambarella, late May 2009

Roberto_G

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - your tree is loaded! What is the fruit supposed to taste like? I've never heard of it 'til now....
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it in Hawaii originally and it was delicious, like a pineapple/mango cross. The first fruit I got off this tree tasted bad, kind of fermented. However, the tree was little and stressed and that fruit was ripe at the end of summer. This year they are turning orange now. So, maybe they'll be better. We'll see....

This tree definitely can take the heat and grows rapidly and as you can see, fruits like crazy.
greenhouse

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Amberella plant Reply with quote

I was so pleased to see your photo of the Amberella Plant with lots of fruit on it. Was this the dwarf variety and was the plant grafted. Where did you get this plant from.
I just boght a plant - Spsdias cytherea - from a Nursery in Florida. When the plant arrived and following their instructions I potted the plant in a small pot. All of the old leaves turned yellow and are drying up. I called the nursery and they informed me that this plant is a bad traveller and it is normal for the old leaves to fall off. The new growth I am told will be fine. They also asked me not to allow too many fruits to grow on the tree in the first few years of the plant as the tree will produce too many fruits and will kill the plant unless you thin the fruit in the early years.
Based on your experience with your plant I would like to get your comments and advice
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd guess your plant will live. They go dormant in the winter and loose all their leaves, and come back fine. I think you should keep it in light shade for the time being since you are planting it in the middle of summer. Do not fertilize it. Just give it water until it has nice full growth on it again.

I haven't had any trouble with the plant killing itself by fruiting too much. Cutting off the fruit will most likely just allow the plant to grow faster. In the picture is my second crop of fruit. The first crop last year never really seemed to ripen and tasted relatively yucky. I have had ambarella in Hawaii and they were good, so probably it just has to do with the plant being young. Could be a climate thing too. I have noticed that this second crop has much larger fruit. I also have a third crop on the tree now from flowers in the spring. You can see those flowers in the background in the photo. Up to this point I have only had flowers in the fall.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes. Maybe the regular Ambarella has better fruit than the dwarf (mine is a dwarf). I bought my plant at Logee's nursery online. I don't think they sell it anymore. It appears to be a seedling or a cutting to me. No graft point is visible. Mine didn't loose its leaves in shipping. It was tiny and had a root ball the size of a coffee cup.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Logees intends to still carry it.

http://www.logees.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R1654-2
kate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the flower dried up and dropped off. Actually, that's no surprise though. Usually a tree puts out 100's of flowers and only 20 of them turn in fruit. Maybe next year. I know that near the coast in Peru where these grow is really really hot, so I don't think the heat is problem for this one. The main threat is probably freezing in the winter and our soil, but it appears that magnesium sulfate and fish emulsion 0-10-10 take care of the soil problem. This plant is one the darkest green plants in my entire yard these days.
http://www.unipr.it/
http://www.ibm.com/us/en/
Kyle_Davis

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any update on how the fruit on your tree was from last season? I've learned a lot about some plants and fruits I didn't even know about. This sounds very interesting. Let me know how it's doing?
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ambarella is doing great. It has more fruit and flowers on it than ever. I'll have to upload a photo of it. The fruit is a bit odd tasting. It is sweet but has almost a hint of tobacco to it or something. Probably a smoker would really like it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Seasonal Gardening Photos All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: