Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Raised vegetable containers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Vegetables
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Little Luey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Raised vegetable containers Reply with quote

I am trying to decide what kind of garden to have and I saw the raised gardens where you put the soil inside a wooden box and plant your plants in it.
I like to know what your experiences have been with that kind of gardens here in Az. I read that they get dried faster than in-ground gardens and that they get hotter since they lack the ground insulation. Is this a problem in this area?

I have also seen the self watering containers, the ones with a water compartment on the bottom. How well do those work? anyone has any experience with them?

Thanks for your help.

Little Luey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me also add another question.

for location of my garden, my back yard forms a "U" around the house, the two sides are about 8-10ft wide, and they are east to west. When we first moved in there we had a landscaper come over to design the front yard and I mentioned I wanted a garden. She said the west side of the house would be ideal for it.

My concern is that the area is in between the house and the 6' brick fence, I am not sure how much sun it gets, but it would be convinient since I have a water hook up there and it would be out of the way and can put a fence so my dogs don't dig my garden. But I realize all this does'nt mean a thing if I can get the plants to grow and be fruitfull.

What do you guys think?

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is that raised gardens work very well here. The drying out faster part you mention is actually good, because it means the drainage is improved. Vegetable gardens always seem to need more water than your average fruit tree or landscape plant, so the need to water more just comes with the whole vegetable idea. I think cinder blocks might be better than wooden sides because they won't rot. Also, mix in lots of compost into your raised bed soil. A good book for vegetable gardening here is Extreme Gardening by this guy. Its usually easy to find in local stores, and nurseries.

http://www.gardenguy.com/

First I'll address where to plant year round plants:

The west side of your house is typically the temperature of a pottery kiln on a summers afternoon, so I wouldn't try to grow anything against a west facing wall in the summer. South facing walls are also very hot.

Now, the west side of your yard, on the east side of that wall is actually a good place to plant things because it is actually eastern exposure and is far enough away from the west wall of the house to avoid the oven effect. Even better would be the east side of a wall not next to the house because it would get even more morning sun. Avoid the north side of a wall because it will be too shady.

Now for winter vegetable gardening:

Really the majority of vegetable gardening is done in winter and spring here anyways so if the south side of your yard is bigger, try a full sun location there for vegetables. Give them as much sun as possible, but still avoid the reflected heat of a west facing wall.

Also, an additional note, I don't think raised gardens are good for fruit trees, just vegetables.
Little Luey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for commenting.

cinder blocks is a good idea, would I line the inside with that black plastic to keep the soil and water in the container?
I saw a book on amazon.com that talked about a lasagna style garden, in which you use newspaper/cardboard as a first layer and other diferent products to prepare the soil. Have you done something like this? is this worth it?

http://www.amazon.com/Lasagna-Gardening-Layering-Bountiful-Gardens/dp/0875969623/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1257345027&sr=1-2-fkmr1

Little Luey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a link an article I found on line:

http://www.no-dig-vegetablegarden.com/raised-vegetable-garden.html

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't use plastic on the bottom. You want the garden to drain. I don't see the benefit of lining the sides with plastic either. If a little water leaks out on the sides its not a problem. I don't know why you would want to layer the bottom with cardboard or newspaper as shown in the articles. In fact, I dig a foot or so below the base of my raised section so the plants can more easily grow roots into the regular soil as well. I think the main reason for raising a vegetable garden here is to improve the drainage. Other than that you are still growing your plants in the regular soil, with some amendments, like compost, mixed in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Vegetables All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: