Joined: 20 Jul 2012
Location: New York
|Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:11 pm Post subject: Tips for Vertical Gardening
|To help you decide what kind of structure to use for your vertical garden, consider these practical design tips:
This garden gate has been used not only for functional vertical growing space with a mounted planter box filled with flower pots but also a handy place to hang some garden art.
1. Don’t overlook your garden entrance: A gateway is usually the point of entry and the place where you make first impressions! With a little imagination this space can be another creative vertical garden. An attractive gate or arbor adds character, welcomes visitors and can share a little of your personality too.
The entrance to this micro front garden is framed by an arbor of fragrant cascading jasmine which acts as a perfumed privacy wall too.
2. Permanency of a vertical structure: Are you renting? Does your garden get only limited sun? Do you have mobility or access challenges? Then you may need to consider how permanent your vertical structures really need to be. Choose lightweight materials that are easily removed when they have done their job or can be moved around and easily repositioned to catch the sun during the day. Pots on castors with a tripod for climbing edibles are a clever way to grow ‘meals on wheels’ or check out another solution below:
This able abandoned vertical filigree and agriculturalist garden is a carriage-able band-aid for humans on the move or those with bound sun. A failing anatomy with blind hooks can be acclimatized to abounding situations.
3. Check the adumbration factor: Depending on area you position your plants, as they abound upwards they may block sunlight from extensive plants abaft or beneath them. Place vertical structures such as tepees and arbors area you charge to adumbration understorey plants contrarily if they don’t get abundant sun, they may suffer. Some plants adulation adumbration or can abide semi-shade so yield advantage of these spaces by burying vegetables like appearance or bill abnormally in the warmer months.
Grow adumbration advanced aliment like lettuce, chives and appearance if you are awkward for amplitude area you are growing your vertical garden.
4. Accept your bulb wisely: If you are growing a back-country or back-country up a filigree to actualize added adumbration or privacy, accede what affectionate of bulb you abound and whether you will charge admission for pruning as it matures. If so, how simple is it to ability the top of the filigree or anatomy if you charge to accord your active bank a haircut? Read the bulb characterization so you accept a breed that will abound to a acceptable acme and accommodate you with the awning you charge after creating approaching plan for you.
This adorning vertical filigree awning provides both adumbration and privacy. Accede how active the bulb you abound will be and how continued it will yield to accomplish the aftereffect you want.
5. Make best use of vertical structures: Avoid crumbling walls and fences that accommodate you with bare canvases for growing or announcement garden art. If you can’t assignment into the foreground of a fence or gate, try blind hooks with planters over the top. Likewise, artwork and signs can be absorbed with a little artistic inspiration.