Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Just threw down sod with two different types.. WHOOPS.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Landscaping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psimitry

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Just threw down sod with two different types.. WHOOPS. Reply with quote

So my orthopedic surgeon has decided to attempt a non-surgical treatment route, so I decided to throw down sod. So around 8am I picked up my sod at the home depot at Ray/I-10. I had originally plan to patch sod it, skipping small sections to spread out the grass in order to save money.

Then at some point I figured out I only needed ten more rolls in order to finish it. Well my buddy and I happened to be running a couple errands near the Octotillo home depot, so I figured I'd pick up my final ten rolls there. I asked if they have the same sod supplier for all stores, the guy informs me that yes, they do. Problem solved, right? Wrong.

I start laying down the new stuff (about 1/5 of the yard) and notice that the new stuff doesn't look completely like the other stuff. I figured that the other stuff had changed shape a bit since it had been out in the sun while my buddy and I were running errands.

This morning I go out, and the difference is obvious. The newer stuff (again about 1/5 of the lawn) is actually a lot nicer. It's deeper green with a slightly broader leaf. I'm wishing the entire lawn was that stuff, but it is what it is.

The question is, will the lawn kind of "equalize" out? Like one type spreading into the other? Or do I need to effectively pull up the newer stuff and get more from the store I bought the original stuff from?
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of bermuda grass lawns are a mix of different types. The most common thing to happen is that common bermuda grass, which spreads by seed, moves in on a hybrid types that was planted using sod. The two types you have planted will eventually move into each others territory. Most likely one will end up taking over the other. Probably it will take a while for your whole lawn to look the same, so I guess it just depends on how picky you are, and how different they look. I have a friend who tells me his lawn is a mix of different types and I can't tell. His lawn looks great to me.
psimitry

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a month later and things are going pretty well. For the most part the grass (both species) are growing like CRAZY. I did have a short period that I had a ring of dead grass around one of the sprinkler heads because - and I know this is going to come as a surprise - the builder of the house that put the landscaping in did a crappy job and didn't put in enough sprinkler heads to allow for overlapping arcs.

So I had to dig up the yard in order to add another three heads in and - wait for it - the builder did a crappy job again and rather than put in tees and keeping the pipe runs straight with right angles, BENT the pipes into the right places.

I swear if I had had some sense, I would have dug up the entire system and laid out a new system before I put down sod. BUT it is what it is, so now I have three new heads, and all the existing heads have been replaced with these.

The one problem I'm having is that we didn't flatten the sod using a roller when we installed it, and now that I've had to dig up a decent portion of the yard, the problem has gotten worse (it's pretty lumpy). Can I water a LOT for a couple days or so and then run a roller across it? Any chance this will simply be too much for the grass and kill it completely?
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try running a roller over it. Bermuda is pretty hard to kill.
psimitry

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a few months later, and I'm finding out that I really, REALLY like the second series of grass that I put in over the first rolls of sod. I can't begin to describe how awesome it is. It's unbelievably dense, and it seems to grow to a certain height and STOP. I've mowed my lawn usually every weekend (sometimes twice a week) over the summer, and the second stuff I put in has never REALLY needed to be mowed. When one walks across it, it's so dense that it's kinda hard to feel where the ground is.

The first stuff, on the other hand, tends to be a lot more sensitive to.. well pretty much anything. It's sparse in a lot of places, needs to be fertilized often, and overall is just a lot less impressive looking.

Is it likely that the second series of grass will be the one to spread across the entire lawn? Anyway I can... help it?
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you could kill the other grass I suppose. However, there doesn't seem to be any guarantee that bermuda sod will spread out quickly. I transplanted a nice piece of sod into a place in my grass and the patch has just refused to spread out. Unlike my common bermuda grass that is constantly trying to move into new territory. Is the nice grass you put in called BOB sod?
psimitry

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, oddly enough, they BOTH were called BOB sod. Both picked up from Home Depot that had BOB sod wrappers around the pallets. My buddy who lives down here in Maricopa also got BOB sod delivered to his place, his grass looks like my less attractive stuff.

I was wondering if I could dethatch the good stuff come spring and spread the stuff that gets pulled up around the yard. Of course, I'd have to hope that the stuff I want to spread will do so and won't just get outcompeted by the less attractive grass.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll want to dethatch your bermuda right now anyways if you are going to overseed with rye. I think taking plugs or your more attractive grass and spreading it out through the yard is a good idea. However, I can't see why the more attractive grass would be more vigorous than the less attractive. That is interesting that they are both BOB sod.
psimitry

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops! Wrong thread!
psimitry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A year later, and there is still a very distinct line between the two grasses. It's less noticeable if I keep the grass cut short. But if I let it go longer than a week it's pretty comical. One are of grass gets 6" tall, the other stays about 3" but is dense as a carpet. The taller grass you can easily see down to the dirt. Razz
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. My grass looks horrible lately because I am trying to kill the nutgrass that has invaded my bermuda. I turned off the sprinklers this summer and every time a sprig of nutgrass shows itself, I poison it. Not pretty, but I think its working. There are some patches of bermuda (refugees) left on the sides that I hope will move back in when the war is over.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Landscaping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: