Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Lowe’s new shipment of Topical fruits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bkaus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Lowe’s new shipment of Topical fruits Reply with quote

Went to the Lowe’s by my house and they had a new shipment of Topical fruits, Avocados, Mangos, Sapote, Banana, Passion fruit, Guava, Loquat, and there was anywhere from 1 to 3 differnet kinds of each. I picked up a Mexican Avocado, Timotayo mango, Suebelle Sapote. They were all grafted and had new growth on them and were 5-6 feet tall in the pots.
myamberdog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bkaus - let me know how your Timotayo fares. I had little growth out of
mine, and it looked like it suffered in the heat, but it may have been a watering problem. I dug it up last spring and potted it.

It was developed in Camarillo, CA where it's a much cooler coastal climate. I've decided to give mine to a friend in Santa Barbara to see
how it fares there.....

mdawg
Bkaus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok will keep you updated on the Timotayo.
ajbcirc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Timotayo Reply with quote

I had two out here in Phoenix in pots. Both weren't very vigorous. My Nam Doc Mai and Manila both outperformed it massively. I ended up giving one to a family member in Las Vegas who wanted to take a stab at growing mangoes. On Gardenweb, a gardener in Orange County last year reported that the flavor was average at best and had a questionable aftertaste.
Bkaus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the Timotayo is not a very liked mango should have done a little more posting on what works in the desert. The Timotayo sounded good because of its cold tolerance and wasn’t worrying about the summer heat just figured on putting up a shade cloth.

Let the growth test began with the other mangos in my collection they are Haden, Manila, Tebow. We’ll see which one does the best over the summer.
mariolo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If u want the best mangos for our climate, the man to see its Don. He has the BEST trees in az. Salt resistant and aclimated to our hot dessert. All the plants from L or HD are from laverne nursery and for our climate are not the best due to the high ph in our water. With all that being said, instead of buying a fifty some dollar tree at Lowes, go tp shamus olearys in face book and youll get a tree thats way healthier and double in size than what you would get at the big box store and for almost same price
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have trouble believing any mango is more cold tolerant than any other. I have tried many varieties and they all seem to have the same frost tolerance.

If anything affects a mango tree's ability to take the cold its the size of the tree so the more vigorous the tree the better. Also, being bushy seems to help a tree as well because it will branch closer to the ground and a dense canopy combined with being low will help protect the interior.

Seedlings are always more vigorous than grafts. Manilas are a type of seedling (being polyembryonic) that grows fairly true to type so they are really one of the easiest to have success with here. They also tend to be bushy if you top them off.

All the varieties I have found are salt sensitive. So I don't use chemical fertilizers on them at all. I mulch heavily and occasionally use the 5-1-1 fish emulsion. I wish I had flood irrigation because it seems to be better water then the tap water, but I am stuck with tap.

Hope this helps.
ajbcirc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mariolo wrote:
If u want the best mangos for our climate, the man to see its Don. He has the BEST trees in az. Salt resistant and aclimated to our hot dessert. All the plants from L or HD are from laverne nursery and for our climate are not the best due to the high ph in our water. With all that being said, instead of buying a fifty some dollar tree at Lowes, go tp shamus olearys in face book and youll get a tree thats way healthier and double in size than what you would get at the big box store and for almost same price

No mangoes are salt resistant. Like most growers, Don does a lot of things to optimize the growth and appearance of his plants so they look terrific. His trees are definitely acclimated to Arizona, though, which is a major plus compared to the products from the California and Florida nurseries.
myamberdog

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now - it's a two way street back and forth between California
and Arizona, right? Someone from either state cannot bring
something like a mango across the border to the other state...

Or is it just a one way problem, from AZ to CA????

myamberdog
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no check from CA to AZ, but there is a check in the other direction. However, it is still not good to bring citrus from CA to AZ due to fears about spreading citrus greening.
Kyle_Davis

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, who is this "Don" guy with the local Mangos? Would like to meet him/see his tree's.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can contact him through facebook. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shamus-OLearys-Tropical-Fruit-Trees/469661096392272
Kyle_Davis

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, I thought his name was Shamus. Smile I've met him before, nice guy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: