Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Agave leaves closing up

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Landscaping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GermanStar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think every 4 days is too often for a new arrival to get established? The only Agave I have on my drip system is my parryi truncate, and it's on a .5 gal/hour xeriscape nozzle about 10" away from the plant, the rest are on manual like yours. And I agree, once per month seems about right during the summer -- once they're established.

Last edited by GermanStar on Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, every 4 days seems like too much for an agave to me. I wouldn't do any less than every 7 for sure.
GermanStar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plant is responding quickly to the chair treatment. Note the difference after only 2 days. The outer leaves are slow to react, a couple even continuing to close, but the inner leaves have already started reopening. It's been receiving 1 - 1.5 hours of sunlight starting at 3:30, and I'll stick to it as long as it keeps improving, then slowly start increasing its exposure. I'd say recovery is looking hopeful.

Agave 001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  103.01 KB
 Viewed:  13675 Time(s)

Agave leaves closing up

Agave 001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  97.67 KB
 Viewed:  13675 Time(s)

Agave leaves closing up

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Very Happy
GermanStar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One week into the program, outer leaves are also slowing reopening, and the plant is beginning to assume a normal posture. I'll continue along the same schedule for another week, then increase exposure 1 hour per day per week until I retire the chair. This of course, assuming the plant cooperates.

The good news is -- no sunburn, no damage, as the plant was effectively able to protect itself. Gotta love Mother Nature, if you just give her a chance.

I actually had a local self-proclaimed Agave expert tell me that Agaves never open and close in reaction to sun exposure. To him, I loudly proclaim, bullhonkers!

Agave4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  97.58 KB
 Viewed:  13638 Time(s)

Agave leaves closing up

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My big blue agave succumbed to weevils this year. I don't think the triazicide works very well. I am now using the Bayer Advanced stuff on the rest of my agaves as per. the recommendation from the desert botanical gardens. See my following post for more details.

http://www.phoenixtropicals.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=575
colichr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Agave Leaves Curling Reply with quote

I bought an agave in Phoenix three years ago. The leaves have been slowly curling in on themselves since I brought it home. Now I have a new agave which has started the same thing. What is the problem? I let the plants dry out between waterings. Both are in high indirect light and brought in each winter (Pennsylvania). I have a picture of the blue agave which I am hoping I can figure out how to add to the post.
Well the photo is there (after a real struggle) but don't hurt your necks. Embarassed

IMG_0426.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.14 MB
 Viewed:  661 Time(s)

Agave Leaves Curling

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agaves in Pennsylvania wow. I think your agaves need more sun because the leaves look so long. Probably it will be very difficult to give them enough sun where you live. Also, with the humidity you have there you could probably water them once every 3 months. You might even want to take them in whenever it rains because if they get too wet they will mostl likely rot. Try a bigger pot I think. Regardless, your plants do have a nice color. Have fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Landscaping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: