Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Help me pick out some new trees

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Landscaping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MKIVRYAN

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Help me pick out some new trees Reply with quote

I will be needing to replace about 4-6 trees that got nailed by the freeze about a month ago. I really like the tropical stuff but that is what I just lost. I'm looking for good shade trees to about 30-40ft tall. I would prefer tropical looking stuff but it needs to be somewhat freeze proof unlike my ficus trees I just lost. I'm OK with them being a bit messy and would prefer something that flowers. Any ideas?
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think both a mulberry and a pecan tree would be good choices for you. They are easy to grow and you will have no worries about freezing weather. Pecan trees should be relatively easy to find in local nurseries. Mulberries should be easy to find too, but a fruiting variety of mulberry might be harder. Mulberry fruit can be fantastic. My favorite is the white fruited variety which tastes like a very sweet white nectarine.

Both of these trees loose their leaves in the fall and will grow to the size you mention. Below is link were you can mail order fruiting mulberries. This is the best time of year to buy them, because they are dormant and can be sent bare root.

Good luck!

http://www.raintreenursery.com/catalog/producttype.cfm?producttype=MULB
Jack_of_all

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Go with the Sisso Reply with quote

Not sure why the Ficus caught on so well here in AZ, spend 4 or 5 years growing a tree to see one good winter wipe it out.

When we got our new house we planted Sissoo trees, or commonly called Rosewood. These trees do great in Phoenix; they will drop most of their leaves if we get a good freeze, if we have a mild winter they may plow on through. They grow very fast sprouting new branches all the time. This gives you ample opportunity to shape the tree just the way you want it. Because of our climate they don't stay bare very long.

We had some troubles with one of ours in its 2nd year; a big wind storm snapped the tree about 2 feed up the trunk, probably my fault for not trimming the top better. I say the trunk was about 3 inches in diameter at that time. Anyways we pushed it up right, put 4 extra supports up, and wrapped the break in white duck tape. Before the year was up it had mended itself and caught back up with its sister tree in no time. These are some tuff trees.
If I can find some pictures I will put them up. Good luck!
GermanStar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Jacaranda Tree Reply with quote

Fairly exotic, drought tolerant, incredible spring floral display (blue flowers), 30'-45' tall, nicely proportionate spread, hardy to at least to 20°.

Jacaranda Tree
MKIVRYAN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for these ideas! I already have a huge jacaranda so I was thinking of something else. They are great though. Any thoughts on bird of paradise tree or a Tipu?
GermanStar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bird of Paradise is more a tree-like bush. It will never attain anything close to the size you want.
MKIVRYAN

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GermanStar wrote:
Bird of Paradise is more a tree-like bush. It will never attain anything close to the size you want.

Ya, its not going to get 35-40 feet but I have seen a few in the 25ft range. Any thoughts on the Majestic Beauty Ash? I saw some at Moon Valley and really liked how they still had all their leaves right next to all the other ash's that are bare this time of year. They told me they are evergreen but I'm careful about what they tell me, I have heard stories.
GermanStar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure we're talking about the same plant then: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/57631/
MKIVRYAN

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we are http://ag.arizona.edu/pima/gardening/aridplants/Caesalpinia_mexicana.html This site agrees with you but I swear I have seen them in the 20-25 foot range. Unless it was a tree that looks very silimar.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a type of yellow royal poinciana in the tropics that is in the same family and looks very similar. They are quite frost tender here though so not an easy tree to grow. I agree with GermanStar, the red bird of paradise is a bush, the mexican bird of paradise is more tree like than the red but still a small bush-like tree.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Landscaping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: