Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Removing a large Oleander

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Landscaping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GermanStar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Removing a large Oleander Reply with quote

Has anyone here any experience with the removal of Oleanders? I have a large plant in my yard with 5 4" diameter trunks. It's just taking up too much room and I wonder what to expect underground, since I'd like to plant something else in the same spot. Will I be able to pull the stump w/roots out of the ground without power tools, or is this a job best left to professionals? I have saws and a pickax to work with, but that's about it.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have removed oleanders with just a shovel and pick. They are relatively easy to remove compared with most large bushes because the wood is soft.
GermanStar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that sounds encouraging. I had been looking online and reading about cranes, winches, and bobcats to pull the stump and roots up -- yikes! Along with protective garb and eyewear due to the toxicity of the plant. Of course, those accounts may have referred to older plants, I don't know. Mine is about 13 y/o and pretty impressive, but certainly not enormous. Guess I can take a swing at it, then call in professionals if I wind up surrendering.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the oleander dangers are highly exaggerated. I think I wore gloves. If you are worried about your eyes maybe goggles wouldn't hurt. Other than that just wear some old clothes because the sap can stain. You'll probably have to hack at the stump and dig around it but compared to other trees it will be easy.

Let us know how it goes. Very Happy
GermanStar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a lot more concerned about getting the stump and roots out than anything. I'll give it a try if it ever cools off. This weekend (103°) doesn't sound like the best time to tackle it. I've never tried to remove a big plant before, this will be a new adventure for me. I plan on sawing the trunks off a couple feet from the base then using them to leverage the rest by rocking it as I attempt dig it out with a pick and shovel. Sound like a plan?
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me. A lot of stumps will feel solid until you dig around them a bit and hack up some of the larger roots. After that they come up all at once.
GermanStar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having now committed to the task in my mind if not in fact, I attacked the Oleander quite severely with my loppers today. Soft wood is right. Now the plant is 6' tall as before (I severely shortened it in early spring), but it only extends 3'-4' into my yard rather than 8'-10', and here's the kicker -- it looks good! I never dreamed... My yard is very long and narrow, so the difference is startling.

So now, my reason for removing it is no longer valid. I may still remove it though, on the grounds that it's a boring Oleander, and it's occupying some prime real estate in my yard, where I could plant something I actually like. The spot is shaded all morning, followed by filtered sun all afternoon. Nice spot for a Furcraea or two, or who knows what? I'll have to ponder this for a bit, but I suspect I'll still wind up yanking it out.
GermanStar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exit one large Oleander, enter one Spanish Bayonet, one Queen Victoria Agave, and sixteen landscape bricks. It took four hours to remove the Oleander, I probably could have shaved an hour or two off the job, but I kept going indoors to find relief from the 105° heat.

Before and after, I am absolutely thrilled with the change. Thanks for the encouragement.

Yard 002.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Yard 002.jpg
 Filesize:  186.08 KB
 Downloaded:  2476 Time(s)

Yucca 001.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Yucca 001.jpg
 Filesize:  194.16 KB
 Downloaded:  2305 Time(s)

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good.
psimitry

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does indeed look good. Any chance of a before picture? The comparisons are (to me) always the most fun!
GermanStar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before and after pics are available from my last post. Yard 002.jpg is before, Yucca001.jpg is after.

And thanks.
psimitry

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy. You even mentioned that it's a before and after. Boy do I feel stupid!

And yes, it looks good Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Landscaping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: