Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Are these Lantana healthy?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Ornamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are right on the Jacaranda. So, I changed my recommendation to citrus schedule.
GermanStar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also read that Jacaranda do best when water is withheld during the winter, and that if it isn't, a poor spring bloom may result, the idea being to keep it off drip until after it has bloomed. My experience bears that out, as I connected my Jacaranda to my drip system in March this year before it bloomed. It leafed out quickly and thickly, but the flower show was a major disappointment compared to prior years when it wasn't receiving any supplemental water at all. Oh well, live and learn. I now have a half-dozen Agaves relying on the shade it provides, so that is priority one.
psimitry

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So hopefully at some point I'll be able to come on here and offer some decent advice. In the mean time, I've returned once again with a "what's going on with these plants?!" post.

I should probably just create a new thread, but this one has some decent activity.

Update on the Lantana - once I cut their watering schedule back to almost nothing, they are definitely doing better. I think the temp got a little low the other night so there's some browning at the leaf tips on a lot of them, but they're flowering and overall look significantly better. Not GREAT, but better.

In the mean time I have these plants. They were doing well, but have been on a gradual decline over the past couple of months while I've been out of town. Examples:

Two yellow-bell plants and a blue plumbago. Two of them are clearly doing..ok. The other yellow-bell...not so much. But they all started out healthy and have been declining ever since. Can't for the life of me figure it out.

Additionally, I'm seeing this all over my hibiscus recently (which have pretty much all stopped flowering - something I'm assuming is normal for this time of year):

Thoughts?
GermanStar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear the Lantana is doing better. As mentioned previously, at some point this winter, just cut 'em down to the ground and let 'em start over in the spring. They'll come back stronger than ever and look a lot better for it.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your plants look like they are salt burned. Maybe too much fertilizer? Try giving them a deep soak and don't fertilize for a long time, if you are doing so. Also, you might want to top dress the soil at their base with some compost to slow soil evaporation. It would probably be best to start a new post, because this one is already on page 2 and I don't think people will see it. Generally, it is best to start a new post for every new topic. Good luck. Very Happy
GermanStar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salt burn can result from frequent, shallow watering (as opposed to less frequent, deep watering), right?
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is correct.
psimitry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the predictions were right about the spring. Lantana that I thought were done for (burned badly in the frost) came right back.

However, summer came and my lantana look pretty much the same as they did last summer. I don't know if I have heat sensitive lantana or what, but they always seem to drop most of their leaves when the heat comes.

I wouldn't really mind except that I miss out on the fall blooms (LOVE lantana when they're blooming!)

From this spring:

(also pictured - the peach tree that grew 3 feet in the spring. MAN did it come back with a roar)
GermanStar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lantana I've had over the years have never missed a beat in summer, heat and sun don't seem to bother them much, though this summer has been unusually brutal. But again, I always deep water (90-120 minute drip bi-weekly), so the roots are deep, away from the scorching heat, and better positioned to retrieve moisture as required.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your yard looks great. My lantana right now don't look too bad. Some varieties have flowers and some don't. I am watering them every other day currently. I don't fertilize them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Ornamentals All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: