Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Frost cloth advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Landscaping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mullenium

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Frost cloth advice Reply with quote

Hey I still have my PVC sun shade structure up over my 2 mango's and was wondering how I should incorporate frost cloth to it? do they sell it by the bulk? so I would just drape it over the entire structure and zip tie them piece by piece?

do they sell a frost cloth you can leave up sorta like the sun shade method? I would hate to have to drape it then take it off every morning
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy a roll of it online, much much cheaper than the local nurseries sell it. I bought a roll a couple of years ago (100 ft. maybe. I don't recall) and then cut it into smaller sections. These sections still ended up being much larger than the sizes you can find locally. You don't want to leave your plants covered all the time because it blocks the sun too much, but you can leave it on for a week or so until the cold front moves out. You should just cover them when temperatures are predicted to be under 35 F.
mullenium

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This past weekend temps hit 36.. what I ended up doing was the ol C9 xmas light trick wrapped around both trees, also put a bucket of water under each tree (i read somewhere that this sorta combats frost?)
mullenium

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.liquidfence.com/FreezePruf.html

Check this stuff out.. I used it last season and it seemed to work, although I also had the xmas lights and burlap wrapped around the trunk of the mango tree as I was too scared to try the spray alone
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the water stuff. It would help some, but I don't know if it will supply enough heat if it gets really cold. Here is my system.

1) Light frost possible - Cover with frost cloth, make sure a tent is made that includes the ground as a base. The ground is your source of heat. Simply wrapping the tree but not including the ground in your closure will not accomplish anything.

2) Hard freeze possible - Cover with frost cloth and put 75 watt incandescent bulb in your tent. I have a greenhouse thermostat that I use to turn on the electricity when the temperatures get below 35 degrees. It has a very high amperage rating, so I can use extension cords to protect a lot of plants with this system.

You were already down to 35! Wow, you are in a tough place to grow mangoes. I don't think we were even close to that here in North Mesa. Maybe we got into the upper 40's? I'm not quite sure.

Good luck. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Landscaping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: