Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Nutgrass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Landscaping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
countrybar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Nutgrass Reply with quote

HHEELLLLLLPPPP !!! Can someone tell me which product you prefer to knock out the nutgrass here in Phoenix??? It has taken over a substantial part of my bermuda grass yard. It got a foothold with the irrigation water, and now it covers quite a big area. Is "Image" good for it? I've heard of "Manage." Is there another product that someone has used successfully for this weed?

I hate it !
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can kill it without killing the bermuda. So, you could dig it out, or use some herbicide to poison it.

In summer you could solarize it. Solarizing it means putting a plastic cover over it on a sunny day (it needs to be in full sun to work well). It will get so hot that it will cook the ground even right down into the roots. After you have killed it, then you can reseed with sod or bermuda.

I have resorted to just pretending its bermuda. Maybe there is some specific poison for it. I don't know.

Good luck.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found a thread on another forum about this. Seems like there are some herbicides you can use. I would worry about them damaging trees and other plants though. Maybe solarizing is better in that way. Here is a link:

http://turfgrass.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/000015.html
Desert_Dude

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sedgehammer is the only selective herbicide that really works on that stuff... it's fairly expensive and you have to apply multiple times but eventually it will work.
Elliston

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have new sod that just went in. I thought I killed everything that was growing before, but now it's growing through the sod. I was told it is nutgr
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been at war with my nutgrass for two summers now. I tried Sedgehammer and digging it up it didn't really totally take it out. This last summer I have been hitting it with Roundup about every two weeks and I am slowly winning the battle. Of course the Bermuda is totally getting killed in the process, but I figure I can seed that again later. I have overplanted with Rye now and the last stubborn sprigs of nutgrass are going dormant. I'll go after it again next summer. It's some stubborn stuff. It mostly spreads by roots though, so I think if you can kill all of it you should be nutgrass free for a while.

Tip: Don't stop watering it to kill it. It just goes dormant and the poison can't get to it then. I spent half the summer trying to dry it out. It didn't work.
sherrymark728

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sedgehammer really works on that stuff but that is somehow expensive.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Landscaping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: