Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Potted mango leaves burning?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mullenium

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Potted mango leaves burning? Reply with quote

For awhile now Ive noticed the perimeters of the leaves on my potted mango trees are burning.. figured it could be potassium deficiency last week applied a slight application of the 0-10-10 Alaska emulsion.

could it also be salt burn from the tap water? or poor drainage from the pots?

here are some photos:

[/img]
myamberdog

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok....my guess is SOME kind of burning - could be salt from tap water, yes, could be fertilizer (although u didn't say you'd fertilized prior to noticing the burn). I would super soak 20-30 times and let the water drain freely to leach out whatever it might be....

But someone else might have a better diagnosis as to what it could possibly be....

myamberdog
Datropicalman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the crappy city water. Flush with RO water and then feed with liquid seaweed.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the salty tap water is definitely a factor, but I think the main cause of that is too much fertilizer. The fish 0-10-10 probably will make it worse too. I use mostly the 5-1-1 on my mangoes now, and 0-10-10 more rarely because its more salty. If your plants show any significant burn you generally shouldn't fertilize.

You'll want to flush some water through to wash out the salts. Ideally you'll want to use some RO or rain water. I captured a couple hundred gallons of rain water in this last storm by placing some of my large recycle barrels below some heavy flow areas by my roof.

If you don't have either of those fresher types of water, flushing with tap water will still help a lot. You'll want to run a lot of it through in one application and then see how it goes.

It's easier to keep the salt level low in pots than when plants are in the ground because you can flush the water all the way through. Every time you water you should water until the water runs through. It will take a while until you see improvement, so don't totally keep your plants soaked all the time, just do one really heavy flush and then make sure the water is running out the bottom every time you water.

I wouldn't fertilize at all again until you have some nice healthy burn free growth.
mullenium

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright cool.. ill do that

i dont have RO water at this place so ill have to use the hose

i was also planning on drilling more drainage holes on the bottom of the pots.. the drill i used was a tiny one that i had to pop through and sorta try to swirl around to open each hole (with about 30 holes each pot).. i have a larger bit now i can use and i dont think the roots have grown enough to be touching the bottom yet anyway so it shouldn't hard the roots

i had one mango totally die before we moved.. i dunno what happened to it, it was a great golden nugget from lowes with a huge trunk.. but it slowly declined and eventually all the leaves fell off and the branches turned black and it just died.. kind of weird, maybe it had some sort of fungal infection
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think as long as the water is "freely" draining out you probably have enough holes.
mullenium

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know what i realized..

during summer i water much more frequently.. which might explain why the leaves always looked good.. but this is the first winter where i had everything potted up.. so that probably left some salt build up since i hardly water in winter
myamberdog

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or....is it possible.....a LACk of water could contribute to the burned look?
You don't water your mangos at all in the winter? That seems like a long time to go without, especially with your (our) few inches of winter rains,
and this year being especially dry for us in Eastern (Palm Springs) California.....

just a thought....myamberpooch
mullenium

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no i water.. just not as often since it seems the soil remains damp longer
myamberdog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah.....ok......March on!!!!!!!!!

M.A.D.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: