Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Yearly solar energy use graph

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Home/Environment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Yearly solar energy use graph Reply with quote

We live in Mesa AZ. Here is a graph of my yearly electricity use. I have a 5kW system. My house is one story 1870 sq. ft., and fairly well insulated. My house is all electric, so I don't have any gas heating, oven etc. In the winter, we keep the house at 74 °F during the day and and 73°F at night. In the summer, we keep the house at 78°F during the day and 77 °F at night.

The surplus production spikes you see in the middle of times of the year with lots of use usually means we were out of town.

oneYearWithSolar.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  63.41 KB
 Viewed:  16008 Time(s)

Yearly solar energy use graph

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Solar Energy Bills Reply with quote

Show me the money you say? Here it is. It was actually a fairly untypically year. It got unusually cold in the winter with 7 total days hard freezes, and a brutal August with 3 weeks over 115°F. Keep in mind that the bill lags the actual month by a month. So, the September bill was for August weather.

oneYearWithSolarBills.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  65.7 KB
 Viewed:  15999 Time(s)

Solar Energy Bills

ajbcirc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much did your 5kW system cost, including installation?
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all of the incentives about $8000. It saves me about $1000 a year. SRP's incentives aren't as good as they used to be though. As SRP gets closer to meeting their 20% renewable energy goal they are reducing their incentives. The state and federal incentives are still the same I believe. The company I installed with was American Solar Electric. I had a good experience with them.
RyanPowell

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Yearly solar energy use graph Reply with quote

phoenixtropicals wrote:
We live in Mesa AZ. Here is a graph of my yearly electricity use. I have a 5kW system. My house is one story 1870 sq. ft., and fairly well insulated. My house is all solar kits, so I don't have any gas heating, oven etc. In the winter, we keep the house at 74 °F during the day and and 73°F at night. In the summer, we keep the house at 78°F during the day and 77 °F at night.

The surplus production spikes you see in the middle of times of the year with lots of use usually means we were out of town

Graph shows you are able to generate good amount of energy from solar panels at very fair prices..Can you tell about the cost of installation and other expenses? Looking forward for quick reply... Thanks:)

Last edited by RyanPowell on Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was $8000 including everything. Labor, blue prints, all the documentation needed by the city, yes everything. The original cost was about 25k, but SRP, our power company, covered half of that and the federal and state incentives totalled about 3k, so I was left with a bill of 8k.

The SRP incentives have gone down since then because they are closer to reaching their mandate of having 20% of their power come from renewables. For that 12.5 k they gave me I had to sign the environmental credits over to them.

As far as I can calculate, those companies that lease panels on your roof (solar city for example) are not as good a deal as buying your own panels, because the company gets all the incentives. So, with the price reduced the payments on a loan for the panels is less than they are charging you for the lease. That is why they make money. It would be cheaper (lower monthly payment) for you to take out a loan to buy the panels yourself and then you would actually own the panels yourself when its all over. The one and only advantage of leasing the panels is that you don't have a down payment. Then again you can get loans that come pretty close to that anyways.

The company I had do the installation was American Solar Electric. They did a very good job and have already replaced the Inverter under warranty because it went bad. The gave me no grief whatsoever about replacing this hardware and did it right away. The inverter all by itself is worth about 6k I think.

http://www.americanpv.com/

Last edited by phoenixtropicals on Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you do get some panels. Here is a post about which SRP rate plan to use.

http://phoenixtropicals.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=188
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Home/Environment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: