Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Minne Royal and Royal Lee on 3CR178

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Royal Lee died in the Spring before it got really hot. The 3CR178 seemed like a great rootstock until the grafts went bad. I tried some trees on Mazzard and they are in a fairly shady spot. Planted in March and April. They just finished loosing all their leaves in the heat, which is what others predicted. Probably they are dead. Maybe the Mazzard can't take the soaked soil when I give them extra water when its hot. I did notice that they didn't really put on much growth after their original coming out of dormancy flush, so I think the Mazzard just isn't good for our soil and the trees just had no vigor so that is why the died in the heat. Interesting how the same plant on a different rootstock originally did great. I might be done with trying to grow low chill cherries here until another rootstock comes out.
Amadioranch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you may be in luck because it looks like Dave Wilson has abandoned 3CR178 and is switching to Gisela rootstocks for the 2017 year. Hard to say how they will do, ive got several on Gisela on trial this year. Hanging in there so far.

There are some tricks that can be employed to get these cherries established. The larger issue as I see it isnt growing them, its fruiting them. Going into year 5 the harvests have been rather pitiful. They bloom well but dont set well. Much like nectarines. Much like our 5th year Lapins that blooms like mad but sets like one cherry a year. Its starting to feel like a waste of time.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good info Eric. Yes, maybe I'll try some on Gisela next year. I had a really good crop of white nectarines this year. The tree variety is called Arctic Star. Super good tasting fruit and lots of them, but kind of a small sized fruit. I think it took about 3 years to start really producing.
myamberdog

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, no fruit this year on my trees, and heavier flowering on one than the other, but I won't give up....not yet.....but I do have to shade cloth them all summer - they just burn too much...

I bought the acerola cherry tree as I heard better things from that regarding fruiting and handling our heat better....another "we'll see"....

MAD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: