Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Time to Expand Local Food Production In Phoenix Area

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Vegetables
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WCSL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Time to Expand Local Food Production In Phoenix Area Reply with quote

I was talking with one of my friends in the Glendale area. We feel that it's time to get people interested in growing their own food in their neighborhoods. In the past 5 years, interest has come and then waned for public gardens which support the very basic idea of self-sufficiency. But with simple projects like Earth Boxes, the Phoenix area can invigorate interest once again in the amazing growing climate of the Southwest and how that can increase local food supply.

I'd like to know what you think of this idea, and I am prepared to put a lot of encouragement into this. It's time for Phoenix to make a go of it.

Thanks,
Douglas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGvC8p3V-6Q
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see a better farmers market. Is there a larger Phoenix one in which anyone can participate? I went to one in Mesa many years ago but it was somewhat disappointing. There are certainly some times of the year that I could unload some citrus, especially lemons.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Farmers Market Reply with quote

Actually. Here is a site that has info. I haven't had time to read through it yet, but it looks promising.

http://www.arizonafarmersmarkets.com/
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errr... Actually, it looks like being a vendor there is a hassle. Liability insurance, 50 dollar fee, blah, blah blah. How could this be so complicated? Does it actually have to be so complicated. What about just bringing your fruit and veggies and setting up a table to sell them. Everyone that buys signs a waver to absolve the vendors of liability or something like that.
WCSL

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: response Reply with quote

i totally agree that farmers markets should be free to vendors. let's keep looking for a new direction in liberalizing local food production. i'll keep working to rekindle interest in neighborhoods, and the local extension office is in the process of getting more people involved in small farming at the phoenix city limits. this is a good start, it can only get better.
darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most cold season veggies, like kale, actaully prefer a light frost. They say it helps sweeten up the leaves. Our long summer growing season is more than enough for veggies. ThIngs like peppers, okra, eggplant, beans and tomatoes are fun. If you are ever wonder if frost is a problem - it's atually good. Ever wonder how people up north can grow tomatoes?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Vegetables All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: