Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Palm tree irrigation and fertilization tips and techniques

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Palms
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArizonaPalms

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Palm tree irrigation and fertilization tips and techniques Reply with quote

At our home in Chandler, AZ we have 120+ palm trees requiring irrigation and fertilization. Over the years now I've settled on a system and routine which is efficient and grows healthy vigorous palm trees. Curious to know how other palm enthusiasts in the Phoenix area differ from what I do and what are your results.

Irrigation.
Two of the stations on my irrigation timer are used only for the palm trees. By keeping all palms on these two stations I don't over water or waste water on desert adapted trees and shrubs. Each drip head on the palm tree water circuit is a 1gph flag dripper. Each palm tree has from 2 to 5 drippers. The number of drippers is based on the size, age and water needs of the tree. For example, my large queen palms have five 1gph flag drippers around the circumference of the tree. I always water each palm tree station for 5 hours Winter or Summer. That means each dripper is potentially delivering 5 gallons of water during each watering cycle. By example, my large queens each receive 25 gallons of water each water cycle. While I never change the length of irrigation, I absolutely do change duration every few months. Peak summer duration between waterings is 5 days, mid winter is 14 days with spring and fall in between.

Fertilization
I've never been happy with the results achieved using spikes, granular or liquid fertilizers. In my opinion, spikes are too localized and require above ground irrigation, preferably pop-up spray heads to wash the fertilizer into the soil. Same issue with granular, without rain or spray irrigation the granular ferts just sit on the surface. Liquids are great but require a lot of work and are short lived as they pass through the root zone. My solution was an inline fertigation unit. The cost was a few $100 dollars and it was installed in an afternoon. With fertigation I add a small but continuous dose of water soluble fertilizer into the irrigation system each time it waters. Benefits include a constant low level of fertilizer being constantly available for the palms. I service the fertigation unit and add new fertilizer about every 2 months in summer and less often in winter. My fertilizer choice is water soluble GrowMore Palm Food 18-6-18 in 25lb bags. One bag is used each time I service the system. Cost for fertilizer is about $200/yr for 120+ palm trees. I have a simple and inexpensive hand held TDS tester so I can check the water coming from the drippers. I do this to tell if there is still fertilzer coming through the system or if I need to refill. With fertigation the palms continuously get what they need and fertilizing the palms takes me about 10 minutes every few months- win-win.

Our Arizona climate and soil requires innovative solutions to watering and fertilizing palms. What are your tips and techniques?
MKIVRYAN

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a pretty sweet setup. I just have a plain old system and my hands and hose Laughing
ArizonaPalms

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKIVRYAN wrote:
That is a pretty sweet setup. I just have a plain old system and my hands and hose Laughing

And that's a fine way to go. As I get older, and lazier, I look for time savings and work reducing methods to maintain the garden. The fertigation system certainly pays you back in both. Also the slow and continuous application of fertilizer is much appreciated by the palms.

With irrigation I like to deep water the palms to reduce salt buildup and encourage deep root growth. The dense soil here requires the slow application of water if using a drip system. I've found that any dripper greater than 1gph delivers the water to quickly leading to run off. Hand watering the surface around my palms with a hose hasn't worked for me because I don't have berms around the palms to collect the water. All that happens is I barely wet the surface before the water from the hose starts to run off getting no real penetration of the soil. I'm also too lazy to stand around with a hose in my hand day after day. My mantra for watering palms is low and slow.
MKIVRYAN

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really need to get another line run for just my palms. I struggle to get them enough water as they are on the same line as everything else and I have things that I cant over water. Always another project.....
MKIVRYAN

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need some more pictures of your 120+ palms Smile
pfancy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

azpalms-what is the device you have for fertilizing? where did ya get it? thx
ArizonaPalms

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use and recommend the Ez-Flo brand inline fertigation system. I installed the model EZ 005-FX which has a 5gal capacity reservoir. A smaller size would be less expensive and easier to install. I like the 5gal reservoir because it completely holds one 20lb water soluble 18-6-18 Gro-More bag of fertilizer. This way I don't have a partial bag of fert lying around after a system refill. Also, during mid-summer at max utilization, a smaller capacity system would require too frequent a refill.

I also use the system to disperse a liquid soil biotic designed to improve the conditions for healthy bacteria growth while lowering soil PH.

I operate the system at the lowest dispersal rate possible. I think it's 20,000:1. I can easily measure whether or not the system is working, and if it's time to refill the reservoir, with a small inexpensive battery operated Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) tester. I measure and compare the TDS of a sample of water from the the house spigot (baseline) and a sample collected from one of the irrigation drip heads. I like to see the irrigation water measurement 200PPM to 400PPM higher than the clean water tested from the spigot. The higher PPM equates to a very low flow of fertilizer coming through and out of the drip heads. When PPM difference drops to less than 50 or so, it's time to refill the Ez-Flo reservoir with a new bag of fert.

Fertigation is the way to go when growing ornamental landscape palms here in the Phoenix, Arizona area.
pfancy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what soil biotics are u using? i usually slap down liquid worm and N'rich for kelp additive. the liquid worm us expensive-$20/gal- so anything else might be worth a try. i also put down a humate product called terra pro
ArizonaPalms

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfancy wrote:
what soil biotics are u using? i usually slap down liquid worm and N'rich for kelp additive. the liquid worm us expensive-$20/gal- so anything else might be worth a try. i also put down a humate product called terra pro

I use an all-in-one product called Great 8 by Live Earth. It's a blend of humic acid and kelp extract. The effects of use are difficult to quantify, but it's a quality easy to use product.
pfancy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ArizonaPalms"]
pfancy wrote:

I use an all-in-one product called Great 8 by Live Earth. It's a blend of humic acid and kelp extract. The effects of use are difficult to quantify, but it's a quality easy to use product.[/qu

cool-where do u get it?
ArizonaPalms

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great 8 is available at Sprinkler World.
allynrigby

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Injectors Reply with quote

I install and maintain the EZ Flow injectors. I have been installing for over 12 years. They are the best for landscape under 15 acres.
MKIVRYAN

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna put an inline fert system in this spring. Just need to find the time. I'm getting too many palms to be able to keep up. Yours still working good?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Palms All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: