Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

New member looking for education

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Vegetables
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: New member looking for education Reply with quote

Hello everyone!
Im brand new to this site. My primary reason for joining is to try to learn how to maintain a garden in this super hot/arid climate. Im not a gardening expert by any means whatsoever...but I do have a far amount of knowledge on topic like creating healthy living soil, ACT/AACTs and utilizing IMOs.

Since it August and the heat is just about unbearable, I am not going into the time frame where I tend to lose all the plants that I have outside (both potted and in the ground). I started my garden in my backyard in the ground which is orginally sand but I have have incorporated different things in order ot make it more suitable for veggies. I have had success with my chilies all year until today...I went outside to find all the plants dead and my Hibiscus plant which was good until a month ago...gave up on me also... Sad . Embarassed

Im hoping that someone can give me an education on how to maintain a perpetual garden that will support whatever plants and veggies appropriate for the time different times of the year. I plan to rip everything out of my garden and possibly do a raised bed but Im not sure if thats necessary?

Are there stickies that I could start reading? Im in Yuma by the way.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 3D,

Welcome to the forum. I generally only grow veggies during the cooler months here, but there are some things that can be grown during summer. There is an article on the site that you might find useful.

http://www.phoenixtropicals.com/vegetables.html

Also, you might want to check out the book "Extreme Gardening" by Dave Owens.

Very Happy
3D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phoenixtropicals wrote:
Hi 3D,

Welcome to the forum. I generally only grow veggies during the cooler months here, but there are some things that can be grown during summer. There is an article on the site that you might find useful.

http://www.phoenixtropicals.com/vegetables.html

Also, you might want to check out the book "Extreme Gardening" by Dave Owens.

Very Happy

Hi! Thanks for the response. You and I seem to be in the same boat in regard to when we plant and harvest. I will check out the link that you provided. I once saw a garden on the net (I cant remember the site) that was said to be in southern Arizona. The owner boasted it as a perpetual garden said that they are able ot plant and harvest year-round. I dont know what they were planting though. I would really like to get mine up and running like that. Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Vegetables All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: