Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

No idea where to post this or to find out the answer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Vegetables
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heidiplants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: No idea where to post this or to find out the answer Reply with quote

So we had loads of bees on our roof we called out the pest control.
They did there thing then knocked on my door. THEY SAID THERE WAS NO hive but they have sprayed on the roof.

Also they have sprayed the plant on the corner since there was some in there. No kidding it was a flowering basil plant designed to attract beneficial insects. They also sprayed my pepper plants which had loads of growing peppers on them. As well as my pea seedlings.

They used the chemical cy kick. maybe cykick. I mean so much for my organic gardening. Any way wondering about the safety on my plants. Will my peppers be safe in particular. Do I need to dig them all up and start again. Guess I am searching the web for answers!!!
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had bee problems last spring and the bees were making a hive in the eave of my house. I'm wondering how its possible that you had lots and lots of bees but no hive present. Bees are usually a good thing unless they decide to move in to your house. The best way to prevent them from moving in is to not provide them with holes in your roof or walls to welcome them in.

Did they block an entrance the bees were using? If they weren't actually moving in, then poisoning them seems pointless and not very environmentally friendly. I don't think I would eat something from plants soaked with insecticide.

Most plants and vegetables won't fruit without pollination so bees are usually a gardeners best friend.
heidiplants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they seemed like they were moving in to me, seen a few dead ones in the toilet and a few around the windows. They were gathered round the bathroom vent, so he suggested we put barbed wire up around it.

I find it strange that there was hundreds of them but no hive. I find it even stranger that they would spray my plant that well I have seen bees on for well over a year. This basil plant is enormous I do not use it for food anymore. It survived last winter. There are younger plants around the main plant which I do use the leaves or did Sad

Later in the afternoon I phoned up the company the manager came round and said he shouldn't of sprayed the plants and hosed them all off. He said it is a very slow release chemical so would of not of been absorbed by the plants yet. I am not sure about this.
wjaa45

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I would eat something from plants soaked with insecticide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Vegetables All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: