Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Norfolk Pines in AZ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Tropicals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BMJ06GT

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Norfolk Pines in AZ Reply with quote

Visited Hawaii about 4 months ago (Honolulu) and just loved all of the Norfolk Pines that were all over the Island. Wanted to know if anyone in here has successfully raised Norfolk in AZ? Of course while I was over in HI. I did tour the Dole Plantation and was able to secure various Plumerias (both Seeds and Cuttings). Came accross this great website right after returning to Phx. while searching for "Raising Plumerias in Arizona".
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing those trees in Hawaii as well. There are some really big beautiful ones on the NE corner of Kaui, up on a hill where you can see them for miles.

I had a neighbor, here in Mesa AZ a while ago, that was growing them on the North side of his house. They seemed to have been there while and were a little taller than his house. I think he moved because all of sudden the landscape dried up and those pines disappeared. So, I´m guessing they were killed by lack of water. I also remember them, before their demise, looking a bit ragged in the summer.

Soooo, it appears to me that you can grow them in the Phoenix area. I think a sun sheltered northern exposure would be best. A northern courtyard would probably be ideal, and early morning sun would be good too although I am guessing light shade would be enough because it is grown as a houseplant. Proximity to the house would also help with cold winter nights because according to the literature it does appear to be killed when temps. get into the mid 20´s. Those kind of temps. are very unlikely in most of town and especially unlikely close to a house.

Good luck.
BMJ06GT

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect thanks for the Reply. The one that I have is still in pot and not at a point to where I need to move it outside. Thank you...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Tropicals All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: