Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Plumeria Care?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Plumerias
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrowingHigh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Plumeria Care? Reply with quote

Hey Everyone. I recently got a Plumeria plant online and it came in a small pot. Ithad2 leaves on it whenI got it. I have put it into a grow tent with a light schedule of 16 on and 8 off. It appears to be dying and i am wondering if anyone has any help they can give me regarding care for plumeria's indoors. Any kind of feeding schedule or nutrients or soil that they may prefer.....Anythuing really. Thank you!
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you read the website page for potted plumerias.

http://www.phoenixtropicals.com/pottedPlumeria.html

Did your plumeria cutting already have roots? If it did not, it will take months for it to start growing. During that time you'll want to keep the soil almost completely dry until the leaves have developed, and I don't recommend fertilizing it either. Many people root their plumerias in pure sand, so you can imagine how dry and without nutrients that is.

I don't know what a grow tent is, but it sounds like something that would keep the plant in a humid environment. Plumerias are somewhat cactus like so you don't want them to be kept wet.

The number one killer of plumerias is having their soil constantly wet. They will get root rot and start turning black from the base up in these conditions. When they have turned black the only way to save them is to cut off the non black part of the stem and attempt to root it again from there.

You can always expect a cutting to drop its existing leaves before growing new ones, so your plant might not be dying just because its leaves are falling off. In fact, if it is dropping them cleanly that is a good sign.

Root your plumeria in a sunny window. Water one time when potting the plumeria cutting and don't water again until it develops leaves, which could be months later.

Hope this helps.
GrowingHigh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the info, I really appreciate it. The one I got is grafted. It has roots and all, but it has been gratfed in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Plumerias All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: