Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Ryan's palm list

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Palms
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MKIVRYAN

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Ryan's palm list Reply with quote

Thought it would be helpful for me to have a list somewhere of what I'm growing and the conditions it’s in. It may also be helpful to others in the future. I will edit this as time goes on with updates. These are just what I have found/seen.
Going to start off with the easier to keep ones.

Mule Palm-Planted (3) 20" grow bags 3-13. 1 was taken out of the grow bag (mistake) and is in half day sun. The other 2 are is 3/4 day sun. The 2 in more sun seem to be doing better but that could still be because they were not removed from their grow bags. I plan to replace 2 more queen palms this spring with them or Cubans. This is really a plant it and forget about it palm.

Parajubaea Torallyi- Planted (2) 15G on 3-13 Both are in about ¾ day sun. One has done great the other has suffered from fungus or rot and may or may not make it. I think these palms will really take off this summer from other locals experience.

Parajubaea Sunka- Planted (1) 15G on 3-13- Died due to my sprinkler system getting clogged. Picked up another going into ¾ day sun on 3-14. I think this palm will be an easy keep here.

Cuban Royal Palm- Few of these around the yard most all planted in 3-12. Most all are in ½ day sun or less. Most will grow into more sun. I know these will do well here as there are a few large ones around but they have been a challenge for me. I have lost a few of them due to last year’s freeze and probably not enough water in summer. 1 that is by my pool in a very protected area is doing great and grows very fast in the summer.

Bismarckia Nobilis- 1 5G planted in 3-10 really starting to grow after a slow first few years. (1) 30” box planted 3-12 trying to decide if it’s going to die or not. I have found that getting a small one is better off than a big one. They HATE being transplanted. I have now killer 4 or 5 30” boxed ones. Even planting them in the ground still in their box almost killed this last one. All are in ¾ day sun and would probably like more. Once you get this palm established it’s a great palm. One of the only fan palms I like.

Sabal Blackburniana- (1) 5G planted in 5-12. Stat still like a lot of palms for the first 8-12 months but is now steadily growing. In ¾ day sun and looking for more. (1) 15G planted 9-13 in full sun. Bulletproof palm so far.

Phoenix Reclinata- (1) 25G planted 3-12 in ¾ day sun. (1) 5G in full sun and (1) 5G in ¾ day sun. One in full sun growing the fastest. All seem bulletproof like most Phoenix species.

Phoenix Rupicola- Probably the hardest to keep Phoenix for me. I have killed a few 15G ones but currently have (2) 15G ones that went in 3-13 and are slow but steady. Both are in ¼-1/2 day sun and no afternoon sun yet.

Phoenix Reclinata x Rupicola Hybrid- Planted (2) 15G on 4-12. One in full sun and one in morning sun only. Both are slow and steady with minimal maintenance. I have high hopes for this palm this year.

Beccariophoenix Alfredii- Planted (2) 5G on 3-13 One is in ¾ day sun and is going great. One is in ½ day sun and is suffering from a fungus/rot and it may or may not make it. Picked up a 15G on 3-14 waiting to go into the ground.

Beccariophoenix Madagascariensis- Purchased a 15G on 3-14 going into the ground shortly. This palm will be planted in filtered ½ day sun or less.

Beccariophoenix Madagascariensis (Window form)- 5G purchased 3-13 still in its pot waiting for me to find the right place to plant it. Needs heavy shade from what I read and does not like below 32F.

This is a work in progress. I have many more palms to add.....
pfancy

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about an update on your stuff. some pix
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Palms All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: