Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Tips & Tricks for palms

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Palms
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MKIVRYAN

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:15 am    Post subject: Tips & Tricks for palms Reply with quote

Thought it would be good to start a thread for tips and tricks we have learned for growing palms.

Best saying for palms. No, Slow, Go!
Meaning the first year it will not show any signs of growth as it roots out. Second year it will be slow and third year it will GO! Smile

This saying has proven itself over and over. Patience is key.

Best tips I have learned.
Mark your palms spear equal level with an open frond with a sharpie. When you come back a few days later you can see if the spear has pushed up compaired to the line next to it that wont move, and it will tell you its growing and how fast. I now mark all my spears and change the color each month. Some of my spears look like rainbows Sad

Best Trick I have learned
If your spear is not pushing up than pour hydrogen peroxide down into the spear/grow point. If you see foam or hear fizz then you have rot in your palm. The peroxide will kill the rot if its not too late. I hit all my palms once a month with peroxide as a preventative since its so cheap.
selina

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bismarckia Nobilis- 1 5G planted in 3-10 really starting to grow after a slow first few years. (1) 30” box planted 3-12 trying to decide if it’s going to die or not. I have found that getting a small one is better off than a big one. They HATE being transplanted. I have now killer 4 or 5 30” boxed ones. Even planting them in the ground still in their box almost killed this last one. All are in ¾ day sun and would probably like more. Once you get this palm established it’s a great palm. One of the only fan palms I like.
MKIVRYAN

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same exact thing happen with the bismark. Big ones are a waste of time. I killed 4-5 30" boxes and even tried planting 2 of the boxes into the ground. They all still died a slow death. The 5G I planted years ago keeps going strong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Palms All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: