Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Giant Strawberry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Vegetables
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bkaus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Giant Strawberry Reply with quote

When seeing some Giant Strawberry seeds on EBAY I just had to have them. We all know you can’t grow Washington State Giant strawberry in Phoenix well at least those of us who tried. After getting the seeds 1 year and 6 months ago I had 70 little plants and by the time they were big enough to transplant I had 5 left. When I got around to putting them in the ground I had 2 left. The plants grew and sent out many runners in the spring of 2013 by the end of summer there was only 5 plants that made it through the heat. Out of the plants left I picked the first giant strawberry of 2014!

Giant Strawberry 1st.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  377.09 KB
 Viewed:  629 Time(s)

Giant Strawberry

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Awesome.
Kyle_Davis

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I wonder how strawberries would do in a green house? That one looks GREAT!
Bkaus

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago my strawberry patch produced lots of fruit (3-4 quarts a week.) What worked was having it shaded by a deciduous tree. It was a apricot planted on the south side of the strawberries. I’m trying to look at things creating a micro climate for planting my backyard for fruit and vegetable production. Trying to get the right amount of shade at the right time naturally is going to be an ongoing experiment. Strawberries like January and February sun so having a tree that didn’t get it leaves until March was great.

Right now my fig tree under 50% shade and it is loaded with figs way more that what it would have if in the full sun. I would use a greenhouse for stuff that wasn’t friendly to our dry air some true tropical’s.
Kyle_Davis

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bkaus,

Thanks for the reply. I just figured if I setup my greenhouse correctly, perhaps I could have strawberries a few times a year. But the input you gave about tropicals in the greenhouse is a good one. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Vegetables All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: