Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Gypsum test

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Vegetables
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bkaus

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Gypsum test Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTCisvv7oPM&index=1&list=UUaVhPEbsxjOyqWV4JGx9Jug

The pumpkins were wilting badly each day. When surfing the net came across info on Gypsum and the article said if your soil was salty that the sulfur in the gypsum would bind with the salt and make calcium available for the plant to take up in place of the salt stopping the heat wilt. It work really quickly!

link to info
http://www.calciumproducts.com/resources/research-and-development/calcium-products-blog/item/109-safely-remove-salt/109-safely-remove-salt
http://www.calciumproducts.com/component/k2/item/132-turf-gypsum-quality-calcium-sulfur/132-turf-gypsum-quality-calcium-sulfur
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thanks. I'm not a big user of gypsum anymore. It doesn't seem to have much affect as far as I can tell. Probably I think it helps in high sodium soils but I think you need to thoroughly flush the soil with water after applying gypsum. These days I use a think layer of mulch around my trees and that seems to work very well. I do still use fish emulsion 5-1-1 and 0-10-10 for my hungriest plants like mangos and guavas.
Dauntless

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Gypsum Reply with quote

You read conflicting things on gypsum but I thought that I would try it in my garden. Some of the symptoms that I am having are indicative of a salt issue.
My garden is located where our round pen for training our horses used to be. So, between all of the manure and urine from the boys, it is a likely problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Vegetables All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: